Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: workshop tent?

who works MDF without a respirator?

Its on the list of things to get. so far have not worked with MDF in that shop. just hardwood plys.

people like to blow it out of proportion too, my dad been carpenter for 50 years, never wore any kind of respirator unless he was spraying lacquer. never had a problem with anything.

Founding Member
    There is a big, big, big difference between being a fine woodwork carpenter who only uses a plane, never sandpaper, or a homebuilder carpenter only working with pine and doug fir 2x4 and OSB outdoors and the carpenter who puts whole sheets of MDF or particleboard on "the timesaver" in a small warehouse.

When I was in college I could fill a a garage with MDF dust without issue. Just after college I filled a garage with MDF dust and started to get bloody noses. Now I work a bit with MDF and my nose starts running like a faucet. These days I think twice about routing MDF.

I don't know. Maybe I am blowing things out of proportion. It's not a big deal in my life because I work with MDF less and less. If my livelyhood depended on it you can bet it would be a big deal!

Shop IS coming along nice though
    Last edited by Whiterabbit; 03-20-2012 at 11:37 AM.

ok, to clarify, my dad is a cabinet maker and works with routers, saw, drills ,etc. he works mostly with solid hardwoods and plys, but he does use particle board for back peices and internal components that you wont see.

mostly I dont like the sawdust snotrockets breathing that stuff causes, lol.

and thanks :P the router cabinet/table is definately a learning process. even though my dad is a cabinet maker, I am not, lol.

[QUOTE=bretti_kivi;14655]who works MDF without a respirator?[/QUOTE

I doo. Why, whatt's wrrrong wid thaaat? :ahhhhh:

Well done. I'm building a router table soon, and am very excited about it. I've gone through various forums and ideas and have probably decided how to do it. But I also need dust extraction and a saw bench, and they're not cheap.
    Nick
    Virtus probata florescit: reversio

Real Name
    Sam
    [QUOTE=n_olympios;14664]
    Quote Originally Posted by bretti_kivi View Post
    who works MDF without a respirator?[/QUOTE

Well done. I'm building a router table soon, and am very excited about it. I've gone through various forums and ideas and have probably decided how to do it. But I also need dust extraction and a saw bench, and they're not cheap.
    Try googling "mdf chemicals" and start reading. Formaldehyde is the biggest concern and yes, it will fuck you up. Not to mention the fine particles of mdf. Heard of asbestos? Same concept of tiny particles cutting through your lungs. Have I worked mdf in the past without a respirator? Yes. Do I do it now? No.
    Last edited by sam3535; 03-20-2012 at 07:36 PM.
    Pioneer - Helix - Kenwood - Fountek - SEAS - xtant - Phoenix Gold
    Team EMD - Team Show Kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by Whitledge Designs View Post
    Jon Whitledge wishes people would focus on the value and significance his work rather than nitpick about things that are inconsequential.
    :thumbsup:

You obviously failed to see the ironic point I was trying to pass.
    Nick
    Virtus probata florescit: reversio

Founding Member
    [QUOTE=n_olympios;14664]
    who works MDF without a respirator?[/QUOTE

My last router table refurbish project, I added a cabinet below the table so I could later punch a 6" hole in it and fasten a 6" pipe flange for the dust collector. Which was punched for a 4" pipe for the fence.

It is awesome. I definitely recommend incorporating a cabinet into the design.

Personally, I think I'm avoiding the "router table" stage and going directly to CNC... the only question is "how big?".

- Bret

Personally, I think I'm avoiding the "router table" stage and going directly to CNC... the only question is "how big?".

- Bret
    That is to rich for my blood, not to mention takes a bit of the art out of the woodworking experience

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk