Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY Guitar Cab

"It Works Every Time!" Landau Karlissian's Avatar
    It's downsize the rig time, and I was actually just parsing my options for a lightweight 1x12 DIY bass cab.

Has anyone here re-tolexed a cab? Gonna refurb my head prior to selling.

Real Name
    Adam
    Here's the guide I'm planning to use: How to Apply Tolex to a Guitar Amplifier Cabinet : GuitarKitBuilder

Received a bunch of grille fabric samples yesterday from antique electronics supply.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

What kinda style are you thinking? I had planned to do something along the lines of the custom Mesas with the gator and wicker, but I got a great deal on a 2x10 neo driver cab from a buddy. Something like this would have looked great in my living room. I can go all-out in the future.

The head is just getting redone in the stock style. She's seen better days, but this is pretty much as it was cosmetically when I bought it.

The cab could stand to get it too, but the cost of supplies to do an Ampeg fridge is probably exceeds its value.
    Last edited by Landau Karlissian; 02-25-2012 at 11:36 PM.

Real Name
    Adam
    I'm thinking black tolex with a wheat/tan cloth or cane grille. Sort of along these lines but in 4x12:
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

with a little TLC that fender can be rather sweet, you don't see those that often.

I was looking for an SVT and I came upon it. It's a really cool head, only problem being that it's not the most versatile thing in the world. Hopefully, I can get a nice chunk of change for it after it gets a new set of duds.

Next tube head may be a Mesa 400+. Extremely practical, comparatively speaking, but I'm not crazy about how they look. Definitely something that would require a custom cab for my personal tastes. The rack-mount thing is way too all-business. I also dig the Marshall and Peavey 400W heads with 8x6550s, though I've never heard either. If I went with the Peavey, that logo emblem would have to GTFO. All that said, no way I'm getting another 100 lb head, anyway.

That Egnater is a real looker. I went on tour with a dude who ran one of those through a boutique 35W class-A head, IIRC. Sweet sound and LOUD.

Not to drag this further OT, but Mini-Me just arrived.

Protip: If you know someone who works at Guitar Center, invite them to your house for a BBQ! :gr_grin:

Quote Originally Posted by Landau Karlissian View Post
    Next tube head may be a Mesa 400+. Extremely practical, comparatively speaking, but I'm not crazy about how they look. Definitely something that would require a custom cab for my personal tastes. The rack-mount thing is way too all-business. I also dig the Marshall and Peavey 400W heads with 8x6550s
    When you wear the tubes out don't put mesas back in......

Biggest stupid ass racket in the world.

Take it to a real tech, put real tubes in it, do it right and it will knock your balls off.

Real Name
    Matt
    Thoughts or recommendations on new tubes? I am considering new tubes in the Mesa Rocket 44, uses el84s. I have never swapped tubes on a previous amp, so suggestions are great.

Thanks