Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY Guitar Cab

Real Name
    Adam

DIY Guitar Cab

Anyone ever built a DIY guitar cabinet? I sold my 60w Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12 and I'm trying to make something more reasonable for home use (the level to get good break up was insanely loud).

So what I'm thinking of is buying a tube head (vox ac4tv/lil night train/blackstar ht5/etc.) and then building my own 1x12 or 2x12 cab(s). That'll give me the ability to get good breakup without knocking stuff off the walls. So I'm looking for cabinet construction info. Sounds like solid wood is preferred by many because some resonance is desirable. Maybe open back with something like a Celestion Blue or an Eminence Red Fang.

Anyway, looking for any input or experience along these lines...
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Real Name
    Matt
    Any guitar shows around you? Here in the metroplex area there are 2 large ones, and there are generally tons of guitars, but enough amps to make it fun. Might be worth your time to go play a few to see if you like/how you like sealed vs open back. Also will let you check on a lot of the different drivers available...

Also, FWIW, the THD Univalve has been one of my dream amps for years: THD Electronics

You can switch out the power and pre-amp tubes to almost anything you want to try, without rebiasing the amp. Also has a built in "hot plate", so it would be perfect for your needs...

Look at what speedster does... those sound just amazing.

Build the head. There s a zen to PTP wiring, it's relaxing, and ungodly easy, price, depends on what you wanna do with transformers, but a small amp with an old console transformer will saturate nicely.

I LOVe building tube amps, HATE the woodwork to finish them, since you have mad wood skillz and nice tools, you are set.

Open/closed back is your call depending on how you play, if you shread, or not?

Real Name
    Matt
    Another option (one I am considering myself) is to get a Epiphone Valve Junior (5w class A) and mod it. My wife bought me the combo several years ago (about the time I sold most of my electrics and started playing acoustic a lot more...). I have recently been reading more about the mods available, and that may be a pretty cool little project to play with. Plus, you can buy a few and mod each one differently if you felt like tinkering.

Real Name
    Adam
    I'll probably buy the first head, just so I have some basis for comparison if/when I do elect to build my own (life has to calm down and provide me more free time at some point, right?).

I've spent a lot of time at guitar center trying out various amps/cabs and I tend to like the open back cabs for general use. The nice thing with building my own cabs is that I can make more than one, or make swappable back panels. I'm thinking of having one open back with a Red Fang or Alnico Blue (or Blue + Greenback if 2x12) then a closed back option with greenbacks or something similar.

Modding amps is a good idea. Hell, I was already thinking of modding the Blackstar to include an effects loop. And I modded my Hot Rod Deville successfully a few years ago.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

I was going to recommend greenbacks. I've always wanted to hear a Fane guitar speaker in person. Rather than on a pink Floyd album.

Real Name
    Adam
    Took a look at the Fanes. Interesting, and a little pricey. Also now looking at the Eminence Private Jacks as a cheaper greenback alternative with a little more low end.

Real Name
    Adam
    Found out about WGS this weekend. Their ET65, Veteran 30 and Reapers all interest me, so in the spirit of total overkill I think I'll do a 4x12 cabinet with reapers on the bottom and the ET65/Veteran 30 pair up top. Four DPST switches will allow me to use various combinations (at impedances between 4 and 16 ohm, which the Blackstar HT1RH can handle). If I split the interior of the cabinet into a top and bottom section I can also have some flexibility around open or closed back operation.

Jus another simple project spinning wildly out of control and out of budget.

Real Name
    Matt
    Adam, I am at the guitar center in ft worth, a Vox nt15h night train (used) for $300. I think you can get it shipped to your local store, or if that is a good deal, I can ship it to you.

Real Name
    Adam
    Thanks for keeping me in mind, but that's too much power for my audio room. It would be great for nice clean sound but I'd be too loud if I wanted to really drive the power tubes.

I ordered a blackstar ht1-rh 1w amp to start. Vox has a "lil night train" that is 2w for $249 list price which I may check out at some point.