Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Triple Vifa NE12" vs. dual Tympany LAT 700 Showdown

Real Name
    George
    Quote Originally Posted by James Bang View Post
    Good to see you active, George.
    James! You should come to the next so cal meet, it's on the 9th of June and JT's again. I've been active the whole time haha. I have an idea to move up in the midbass world again, more than a 10" equivalent. Can't wait!

Real Name
    George
    LAT 700s are IN! My first impression is that they are the first audiophile subwoofer for car audio. To sum up my first 4 hours (in a row) experience with the LATs:
    *these things can turn car audio into an obssession
    *one proxy for good sound is how loud you can tolerate it on a regular basis. This was the first time I heard the fans on my Clarion amps. While I normally listen to 46/62 on my head, this time I averaged about 53, a whopping 7db more. I could tell they were drawing massive amount of power because my dash was constantly changing hue, in fact the voltage dropped under 13.8 and never really recovered.
    *at first they seemed like they had no low end impact, so I added in 7db at 30hz. The result was jaw dropping. On Infected Mushroom the seat felt like it was on rails moving back and forth at will. I tuned it with the mic and ended up taking the boost out at 30hz, go figure.
    *never bottomed out, at least audibly
    *did not smell coils, but the car did get supper hot inside.
    *The midbass so weak by comparison I took a careful step and lifted the crossover to 100hz 24db between the two. And well, that's when really impressed me. The output was so clean, and yes locked in the front, that I went nuts and played everything at concert level output for hours and hours. Before this experience I was convinced low inductance was needed to cross a sub high, and only. Yet when I had the AE I couldn't cross any higher than 63hz 12db so I concluded my brain must be really good at picking up low frequencies sources. Not at all, I think rattles have been the culprit all along. Now I believe in rear midbass. I suppose hystorically some cars may have reduced rattles to low enough levels that 10"s in the rear deck could magical appear as if mounted forward. Well, with the LAT's I have the surface area of two 15" subs. The midbass is astonishing. This allowed me to move the gain levels up on the Peerless SLS and level match it at 100hz.
    *car still rattles a bunch, but the reduction was astonishing. I can't wait to fully decouple them and mount an army of LAT250s as midbass fully decoupled as well.
    * I took a short distortion test and HD seemed to be lower than the AE and Vifas but that was eyeballing it. 2nd order seemed the highest, so despite the push-pull it perseveres.
    *on the downside, at really low volumes they seem to have a rather warm presentation, not sure if it's mechanical noise, inductance or just in my head but it just sounds...hot...for a lack of a better word. Will investigate forward.

The install is a bit of a hack, currently holding in 5/8 bolts, but I upped the size on the bolts so it's cemented in there. I had to remove the endcaps in the middle and McGiver a solution to reduce the mounting width of the assembly. It's not what you would expect. Pics, and tests VS. Vifa NE 12"s coming up in the next few days. I gotta work like a mad man tomorrow to catch up on research.

That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by cvjoint View Post
    James! You should come to the next so cal meet, it's on the 9th of June and JT's again. I've been active the whole time haha. I have an idea to move up in the midbass world again, more than a 10" equivalent. Can't wait!
    Bang and the inappropriates.... Should be fun
    Team punk rock sq

I'd love to check out the findings of this thread in person, but I highly doubt I'll make it out to the meet. I'm trying to train baby bang to optimize the sq in his stroller.

Real Name
    George
    Baby bang haha

Got all the results in just now, so I'll be posting in the next 20min!

Real Name
    George
    NE12" vs. LAT700 Omnimic Results

Frequency response
    Vifa Black LAT Red
    NOTE: The Clarion monoblock amplifier has built in LP filter at 180hz or so if you are wondering why the output on these drops so early. Something about the Class G switching or maybe for pure efficiency reasons Nikola Engineering decided to place a filter in these.

Harmonic Distortion
    97db
    Vifa

LAT

102db
    Vifa

LAT

107db
    Vifa

LAT

112db
    Vifa

LAT

Bass Decay
    97db
    Vifa

LAT

107db
    Vifa

LAT

Last edited by cvjoint; 05-12-2012 at 03:26 PM.

Real Name
    George
    Pictures:

Founding Member
    WOW!!! Oversized clock batteries what the hell do you do with those?:thumbsup:

Founding Member
    double post, sorry bout that

Real Name
    George
    Ha ha, clock battery 1, nuke 1000000, speaker 0. Based on first impressions it is a nuke.