Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Music YOU use to tune/evaluate

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    Do you people actually listen to that stuff?

That artsy female shit?
    Some, I'm all over the place with the music I listen to. I think in my first two posts I mentioned the above artist and RATM. I also listened to Manson and Avenged Sevenfold. The last couple of days I'm on Ben Folds. This falls more into the "what are you listening to now" thread, but the question was asked here.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    Pink noise. Music will always hide problems. Always. Always. Pink noise hides nothing.

This is skipping to the very end of the tuning, but after a LOT of other work has been done, it goes like this: Play STEREO pink noise through your favorite reference. Whatever is tonally better than your car. If $50 headphones sound tonally better than your car, so be it. Then play the stereo pink noise through the car. It'll sound TOTALLY different. Start tweaking to timbre match the pink noise. When you are done, your car will sound better. To confirm, you can play all the different tracks you can find, stereo, mono, pop, female vocal, dynamic, bass heavy, anything and everything. If something doesn't sound right, by all means find the frequency range of the problem, but don't tweak anything till you get back on your reference and car with stereo pink noise so you know how much to adjust.

This method will make your car sound better for ALL music, not just one type. If you car preferentially sounds better with a particular music, your job is not done.
    That is one approach. I believe it is taking more the tuning/evaluating frequency response avenue and not as much evaluating equipment side. I am much newer at this than you, and I do agree that through tuning you can change the "sound" of pink noise, but it doesn't necessarily help you address problems with the install or equipment itself IMHO. When I listen to pink noise, I feel it is all around you and when the system is balanced it sounds like...noise all around you. When I listen to music, I can hear if a speaker breaks up or has a hard time reproducing certain instruments. It helps me identify rattles and resonance as well. I can tell you that listening to pink noise my door mounted midbass sounds fine, when you play music (especially something like the Avenged Sevenfold song I mentioned on the first page with the kick drums) the rattles start to show up big time.

Again, I think your method is great for system response, but maybe not as good for evaluating problems with individual components in the system. If I'm wrong here please let me know because I may not be realizing the full potential of pink noise.
    Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.

gyroscopes and infrared FoxForce's Avatar
    Pink noise. Music will always hide problems. Always. Always. Pink noise hides nothing.
    Love the genre. What's your top pink noise artist, would you say?

#1 musical style I listen to. As long as it hasn't been used for an episode of CSI or House or an iPod commercial. Artsy fartsy male stuff too.
    Suddenly......it all makes perfect sense. :p

UC - I have some Regina Spector on the Pod, but it's far from being in any rotation. I like the piano, but whatever record I have it's jacked way too damn loud for that type of album. I suppose since these artsy ladies sing so soft, they feel the need to Rick Ruin it.

gyroscopes and infrared FoxForce's Avatar
    Here's a female you can actually listen to sans all the squshy feewings about puppy dogs and rainbows. "The Queen of Audiophile" Sara K. This album is money if you like acoustic guitar and still is money even if you hate Sara K...

Quote Originally Posted by FoxForce View Post
    UC - I have some Regina Spector on the Pod, but it's far from being in any rotation. I like the piano, but whatever record I have it's jacked way too damn loud for that type of album. I suppose since these artsy ladies sing so soft, they feel the need to Rick Ruin it.
    I'll admit to liking Regina, her recording are too hot, you called it.

Real Name
    Adam
    My wife plays Regina non-stop. I like quite a bit of it, but she's got 3 of her 5 albums in constant rotation. Soviet Kitsch is my favorite.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pionkej View Post
    That is one approach. I believe it is taking more the tuning/evaluating frequency response avenue and not as much evaluating equipment side. I am much newer at this than you, and I do agree that through tuning you can change the "sound" of pink noise, but it doesn't necessarily help you address problems with the install or equipment itself IMHO. When I listen to pink noise, I feel it is all around you and when the system is balanced it sounds like...noise all around you.

................Again, I think your method is great for system response, but maybe not as good for evaluating problems with individual components in the system. If I'm wrong here please let me know because I may not be realizing the full potential of pink noise.
    Definitely not realizing the potential. Pink noise tells you SO MUCH. Lots of steps skipped, but if you play mono pink noise and it is not smaller than a softball on your dash, something is wrong with your car, regardless of equipment, and it will NEVER sound right.

Pink noise will reveal every problem with your install all at once. Midbass resonance? You'll hear that in the form of the bottom end being pulled to the door. Fix it? You'll hear that spectrum back in dead center. Ever get some instruments on the dash, some on the floor? Wonder what frequency band that is? Pink noise will make it crystal clear what frequency band that is.

Sounds like it is one solid mass in front of you? You've got a fundamental phase problem and need to back up a few steps before timbre matching your car to your reference.

Pink noise is the BEST way to reveal problems in the car, and if it's not EQ/TA/etc correctable (cone breakup, reflections, etc) you will hear it immediately, and can correct the physical problem physically.

Pink noise is so powerful it's ridiculous.

Definitely not realizing the potential. Pink noise tells you SO MUCH. Lots of steps skipped, but if you play mono pink noise and it is not smaller than a softball on your dash, something is wrong with your car, regardless of equipment, and it will NEVER sound right.

Pink noise will reveal every problem with your install all at once. Midbass resonance? You'll hear that in the form of the bottom end being pulled to the door. Fix it? You'll hear that spectrum back in dead center. Ever get some instruments on the dash, some on the floor? Wonder what frequency band that is? Pink noise will make it crystal clear what frequency band that is.

Sounds like it is one solid mass in front of you? You've got a fundamental phase problem and need to back up a few steps before timbre matching your car to your reference.

Pink noise is the BEST way to reveal problems in the car, and if it's not EQ/TA/etc correctable (cone breakup, reflections, etc) you will hear it immediately, and can correct the physical problem physically.

Awesome, thanks for the info...seriously. I didn't know I was missing out on that much potential from just pink noise. I actually thought it's best use was for just running an RTA for frequency reponse. Is is still ok to use music to evaluate with sometimes too, you know, since it's fun?
    Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.

Founding Member

would you mind to open a dedicated thread detailing this?. others could chime in and sure it would be very useful.
    Last edited by ABX; 09-19-2010 at 05:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ABX View Post
    would you mind to open a dedicated thread detailing this?. others could chime in and sure it would be very useful.
    x2

I would love to learn more about Whiterabbit's fascination with pink noise. I think one may need an exceptional pair of ears to start with.