Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tuning from scratch

Real Name
    Kelvin
    Quote Originally Posted by James Bang View Post
    If the mids will be door mounted, I'll be following this closely. I've always had trouble with 2-way fronts and door mounted mids. Midrange and midbass seem to never agree with each other on phase and T/A to get a good center. i.e if I want strong midbass, i'd have to sacrifice center image of the midrange and vice versa.
    If you want strong midbass, you could try to focus on sub to midbass integration instead IMO

Kelvin

That's something I need to put more focus on. When I recently tried to help a friend tune his setup, the only solution I was able to come up with at that moment was to raise the xo point of the sub to compensate. After reading Markz's post on individual speaker xo parameters, I think that might lead the way to get centered MR and MB.

Maybe you can tell me why I need or want custom biquad filters in the process.

I, too, have had issues getting a 2 way to sound to my liking. Either good midbass and breaking up/screetching midrange or great midrange clarity and lack of midbass. The sub integration can and does play a part tho as mentioned. I have since went to a 3 way and seem to have eliminated that problem now. That is now that I replaced the Hertz midranges with Scanspeak 10f drivers. I've only had them for a day and about 1 hour of play time so far (tuned twice now too) but so far I am impressed. Can't wait until they break in to see what they can really do too.

Quote Originally Posted by winslow View Post
    Maybe you can tell me why I need or want custom biquad filters in the process.
    Because they're twice as good as regular ol' quad filters?

This is the post that I have been waiting for.