Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi.

Hi.

Hey everybody it's me goodstuff. :wavey::p:headbang:

I'm the same forum whore you all know and love, on every car audio forum that will have me.
    Was lurking for a while, then forgot about this place, but now I am back and hope to make some positive contributions.

My stereo story begins in my parents basement. I dug out some of my dad's old home gear and rigged it up. I loved tweaking and trying to make it sound better. Eventually I added more speakers and more speakers and more speakers and then wondered why the left channel wouldn't play after that...who worries about wiring to .25 ohm, when your ten years old you just rock out, lol. :headbang:

Anyway fast forward about 7 years. The guys in study hall were tossing around a Crutchfield magazine. They had these little diagrams about sound and freq ranges of musical instruments and human hearing. I immediately could not wait to see how good I could make a car stereo sound. I raked a lot of old lady's lawns and bought my first system. A family friend did the install for me, but I got to watch AND annoy the crap out of him the whole time. He even hand built me an active sub crossover.
    Needless to say I was too young to appreciate what he was doing for me, all pretty much for free.
    I felt as though he was making all the decisions and I didn't have much say so I decided to do my own install on the next car. I learned just enough from watching him and uninstalling the first system that I was able to get it installed safely myself. I've since gone back and apologized and made friends with him.
    He understood that we were all young and dumb once or twice.
    I wasn't gun ho about getting loud, but he thankfully steered me towards the sq side of things anyway.

I wasn't really "into" car audio until I discovered the forums. Then things just snowballed. I couldn't control it. I had to try all the things I was reading about. Before I knew better I ran two sets of 4x6 speakers, one in the doors and one in the rear deck but I wired one set backwards so left was right, in an attempt to get a center image. It did sort of work but sounded sooo awfully bad doing it. I remember finally reaching the point of only running time aligned front speakers and a sub and damn it was a whole new world after that. Many changes since then and being honest with myself probably many more to come even if that makes me want to puke at this point because I still haven't learned to control it.

Ok good talk, see you out there.
    Last edited by Goodstuff; 06-20-2012 at 02:35 PM.

Real Name
    Alan
    Good to have you with us! :wavey:

Real Name
    Adam
    Welcome!
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Welcome to the fold.
    2010 Fusion Sport: SQ Install w/Dash Sub - Build Log of the Month Winner | July 2011

Nexus 7 | DAC | miniDSP | Aura MR2150 x 3 | NRT18-8 | RS180-4 | neo8-s

I thought I knew car audio until I came here where I have to read things about 3x to almost understand

Welcome.

Look forward to your 'install of the month' build. :five:

Quote Originally Posted by OSN View Post
    Look forward to your 'install of the month' build. :five:
    Looks like I will win by default, lol.

F that, I'm going to do a 6x9 VBA install just to keep you honest.

Quote Originally Posted by OSN View Post
    F that, I'm going to do a 6x9 VBA install just to keep you honest.
    hey hey hey.

Hey hey!!!
    Hey!

Hey hey hey!!!!!