Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm baaaaaaaaa-aaaaaaaaaack (with the Klippel)

yea, but such is life. shackle free and digging it. ;)
    Your ears: The best tools you have... and they're free, too!

I got some 4 ohm 18Sound 6MB430s to throw on there.

"It Works Every Time!" Landau Karlissian's Avatar
    This is great, great news. Cheers to your, sir!

Real Name
    George
    I can always find some driver to send to you but I'll be hella short on cash for the next year.

oh no you didant, girlfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniVanMan View Post
    I know someone who's probably going to have fits over this. For the rest of us though, I'm sure there's a huge, collective "WAY TO GO!!".

I'm sure we can work out a donation process to get you up and running. I know you want to stay independent, so it would have to be with the understanding that it will be independent of this site. However, you know we would LOVE to sponsor you in some way.
    I'm game for ideas. I was thinking that I could put up a paypal link on my site but I don't know how to do that just yet.

Tell them you need the laser too.

Real Name
    Adam
    I'll make you a simple deal. You grant MSS license to reproduce test data here (ie: we don't infringe upon any copyright by having your data posted here for purposes of discussion) with all due credit and link back to your site and I'll make personal contributions to you equal to 75% of the MSS contribution total for June, July and August.

I assume that you'll likely be the one posting the data here in most cases, but I want to also make sure we don't have folks copying your data over here in the course of discussions without your prior consent. This would accomplish that objective and toss some money your way to cover a portion of your expenses.

No other obligations to MSS. Just grant of license to have a copy of the data here with attribution and a link back to your site.
    Last edited by Adam_MSS; 06-22-2012 at 10:40 AM.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Guys,
    It looks like the QC unit doesn't allow for some of the same testing I had done before. I'm going to quote the folks at Klippel regarding this so you can hear it from them.
    The KLIPPEL QC SYSTEM is dedicated to very fast testing of loudspeaker drive units and complete systems at the assembling line or for incoming goods control. It is a complete different hardware and software design and the modules you know from DA don’t work here. You do see many parameters you know from R&D, but it’s made for manufacturing testing with limit setting and golden units, operator level and engineering level…
    You don’t have the capability of laser testing, you don’t have nonlinear curves, you don’t have DIS, SIM, PWT, AUR functionality, no Scanning Vibrometer. In attached feature list, you see the measures possible in QC SYSTEM.
    In summary, I can't perform the same tests you guys are used to seeing such as LSI, which is what displays the more engineering type side of the analysis (Bl, Cms, Le(x/i), etc curves). I also can't do any SIM analysis, which is what would allow me to basically measure a driver and tweak it's curves to see how non-linear distortion such as IMD is affected by a offset VC vs a simulated shift-to-center VC, or making Le(x) more symmetrical, etc. This was one of the features I really wanted to explore further. I also won't have access to Auralization which I had planned to use to create some blind testing via my site.
    I've asked for pricing on the R&D unit but without serious contributions, I don't think I can fund it. But, we'll see. That's why I wanted to throw this information out there so you guys understand there is a difference and that it may just not be feasible to obtain an R&D unit. Right now Klippel is bending over backwards for me and I don't want to ask anymore of them than I already have.

Here's a brochure for the QC version:
    http://www.klippel.de/fileadmin/klip...m_Brochure.pdf

You can see it allows for some pretty cool measurements:
    • Frequency Response
    • 2-5th order harmonics
    • Multitone Distortion
    • Intermodulated Distortion
    • Rubb & Buzz
    • Electronics Testing
    • Impedance and T/S
    • VC Shift
    • Xmax Parameters

That's really just the tip of the iceberg. You can see that xmax and associated assymetry are provided, but just not in the graphical form we are used to seeing. Unfortunately, inductance based on excursion isn't a parameter measured with the QC unit. I think, however I can provide a max and min Le curve by applying a battery to the terminals and sweeping impedance for polarity differences (applying low DC voltage at both configurations should lock the driver in either direction, while I sweep it... I think).

As you can see in the bolded above, Rubb & Buzz is a feature permitted with the QC unit and goes a bit further to account for auditory thresholds.
    Additionally, electronics testing seems to be allowed which would give me the ability to measure source units and dsp's as well as amplifiers (as long as the input Voltage of the QC is not exceeded).

All in all, I think the QC unit will suffice but wanted to let the forum know there are some differences, as I've found.

Any input here?
    Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Erin
    Last edited by ErinH; 06-22-2012 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_MSS View Post
    I'll make you a simple deal. You grant MSS license to reproduce test data here (ie: we don't infringe upon any copyright by having your data posted here for purposes of discussion) with all due credit and link back to your site and I'll make personal contributions to you equal to 75% of the MSS contribution total for June, July and August.

I assume that you'll likely be the one posting the data here in most cases, but I want to also make sure we don't have folks copying your data over here in the course of discussions without your prior consent. This would accomplish that objective and toss some money your way to cover a portion of your expenses.

No other obligations to MSS. Just grant of license to have a copy of the data here with attribution and a link back to your site.
    Adam, I have no problems with that. I will be watermarking my data set just so people won't try to steal the data and pass it off as their own (I've had it happen, as you know).
    My goal all along is for EVERYONE to obtain the data. So, of course you are more than welcome to use it here in any capacity you want given credit is due. I only ask for credit so people know where it came from.
    Bottom line, I prefer you guys link it here. Link it ANYWHERE you want. That's exactly what I want. I want everyone to see the data. I want people to be involved in discussion. That's why I'm doing this.

In fact, depending on how things go, maybe I can work out a way to provide you guys not only with the images of the data I obtain, but the raw data files as well. Patrick @ RedRock was kind enough to obtain a Klippel Reader program that allowed everyone to view the raw data. It was hosted on his FTP. Maybe we can do something similar after this gets off the ground.
    Last edited by ErinH; 06-22-2012 at 11:48 AM.