Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: I'm baaaaaaaaa-aaaaaaaaaack (with the Klippel)

Real Name
    George
    It's not different than a woofer driver is it? Tweeters can be easily bottomed out with bass before the coil gives out. A spider is not used but the dome itself provides the restorative force. Fingering the Scan I have next to me it seems that the dome is quite resilient to pushing. :P

Surely xmax is not as important in a tweeter but it is still important. Not sure I agree this is a numbers game. That's the sort of thing planet sound domain guys or npdang v2 would say if you catch my drift.

I'm inclined to say that the tweeter performs rather badly despite having what appears as good stroke behavior. Maybe the diaphragm, chamber or coils have a compromised design, and the tests would indicate that's what needs more work.
    2001 Honda S2000
    Head: Pioneer P99 + Samsung Galaxy S3
    Amplifiers: 3,000w+ Zeff class G/H power
    4 way: Aurum Cantus AST2560 Air Motion Transformers, BG Neo8-s Planar transducers, Peerless XLS 10" MAC midbass woofers, Tympany LAT700 x2

I'd love to get xmax values. Really, but there's the simple aspect of survivability and moreso accuracy. Simply put, without a laser and a way to more accurately capture T/S parameters, it's more elusive to tell when a tweeter at near it's breaking point and therefore a very high risk for me to play. Unlike a woofer, there's no real tell-tale sign of a tweeter when it's about to explode. It just goes. Speaking from experience here. ;)

Still, I believe pretty much anything you need to know can be obtained from the other measurements. We just don't really have a glimpse inside the makings of the driver like we would a woofer.

Of course, if you really want to change that, you can always contribute to the Klippel fund and maybe I can buy a laser... or just the damn vacuum to help me get a bit closer.
    http://www.klippel.de/our-products/r...acuum-kit.html

;)
    Your ears: The best tools you have... and they're free, too!

Real Name
    George
    Ok, so if I understand this correctly it's more of an issue of accuracy with small drivers. But if these are accurate tests without the laser it's ok if the parameter limits can't be reached. Speakers can be designed to where they bottom out before any of the parameters change significantly. It's just going to rely entirely on the crossover to prevent it from bottoming out. Woofers can be designed this way too but perhaps for warranty concerns several parameter "brakes" are built in.

I'm fairly poor until I get out of gradschool. Depending on what happens after I might even get my own Klippel o.o Probably not, I'll just contribute.
    2001 Honda S2000
    Head: Pioneer P99 + Samsung Galaxy S3
    Amplifiers: 3,000w+ Zeff class G/H power
    4 way: Aurum Cantus AST2560 Air Motion Transformers, BG Neo8-s Planar transducers, Peerless XLS 10" MAC midbass woofers, Tympany LAT700 x2

Klippel has some good information in the difficulty of measuring tweeters in one of the AN's I provided in the recent post in my site.

In similar news, I just finished testing the scan d3004/602000 and they measure really, really well.
    I'm finding some interesting things regarding offsets and 2nd order distortion lately. I need to contact someone more knowledgeable than myself about this. Maybe the folks at Scan...
    Your ears: The best tools you have... and they're free, too!