Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: DIY RCAs

Real Name
    Adam
    Quote Originally Posted by Daishi View Post
    Adam, if you order some up I would like to buy 50-100 ft off of you would probably both save us some cash that way.
    I'll let you know when I place an order.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Founding Member
    coolio!

Starquad is a trade name from Canare. You were not finding starquad that cheap. On top of that it's sheer overkill unless you like the looks, it has less shielding than Gepco, higher capacatance and is a real cocksucker to work with meaning the failure rate is eleventy billion percent higher. unless you are building microphone cables I'd steer clear of it.

Founding Member
    It was a special are markertek a few years back (well, like 4 years back). Two run twisted pair. Maybe it was $0.35 a foot, but I know it was way under $0.50. I will switch to Gepco when I pick up an MS-8 (whenever that is ).

Founding Member
    I wish I would have listed to you on this one Chad. The only reason I built my RCAs with star quad is because it was easier to find the colors I needed sold by the foot. Every time I solder on some ends I kick myself for not going with the Gepco. Oh well, live and learn.
    -Trevor

Administrator
    I know a lot are hung up on color, but fuck color. It's an RCA cable. A quick search brought up Gepco 61801EZ for 11 cents a foot if you buy it in 100, or 250 foot rolls. $27.50 for as much cable as most of us would probably ever need.

I've used Belden 8723 with good results, it's dual twisted pair and dual shielded so it'll work for left and right in the same wire.
    http://www.amazon.com/Belden-8723-In.../dp/B000KEMC4I

I've really liked using Neutrik ProFi NF2CB ends, the ground barrel is spring loaded and it makes contact before the center pin. They also have 2 different size strain relief inserts included for using different sized wire. When I bought them they were about $12 each, but they're less expensive now and there's also an updated version that works the same way.
    http://www.amazon.com/Neutrik-NF2C-B.../dp/B0008JIT0Q

6-channel RCA I made about 10 years ago with 3 lengths of 8723:

Founding Member
    Posted my tutorial here in detail which uses Gepco and Streetwires RCA ends:
    http://www.mobilesoundscience.com/sh...-Interconnects

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniVanMan View Post
    I know a lot are hung up on color, but fuck color. It's an RCA cable. A quick search brought up Gepco 61801EZ for 11 cents a foot if you buy it in 100, or 250 foot rolls. $27.50 for as much cable as most of us would probably ever need.
    I know, I know. The problem is that I am obsessed with labeling.

Quote Originally Posted by TREETOP View Post
    I've used Belden 8723 with good results, it's dual twisted pair and dual shielded so it'll work for left and right in the same wire.
    http://www.amazon.com/Belden-8723-In.../dp/B000KEMC4I

I've really liked using Neutrik ProFi NF2CB ends, the ground barrel is spring loaded and it makes contact before the center pin. They also have 2 different size strain relief inserts included for using different sized wire. When I bought them they were about $12 each, but they're less expensive now and there's also an updated version that works the same way.
    http://www.amazon.com/Neutrik-NF2C-B.../dp/B0008JIT0Q
    I came this close to going with those RCA ends, I might have to try them in the future. I initially used Neutrik NYS373s (now they are packaged as Rean NYS373; different brand with the same part number).

I absolutely HATED them! They do not have a proper strain relief (a cheap piece of plastic I could never get to work) and generally were very low quality IMHO.

Now I am using Switchcraft SW3502AB and Switchcraft SW3502RABAU and am very happy with the quality.

-Trevor

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniVanMan View Post
    I know a lot are hung up on color, but fuck color. It's an RCA cable.
    Besides, if you want color there's always Techflex and heat-shrink.