Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY RCAs

DIY RCAs

This is a great alternative to buying expensive custom made cables from internet sites, when you need custom lengths.
    Figured I'd post up some info on my recent build, and if anyone wants to add to it or share theirs, please do. Yes, it's a remake of the other site's thread, but who cares. Most of the people here don't go there anyway. ;)

I ordered belden 1505f coax cable from rawcable.com, in blue, over a year ago. I had a good bit left over so I ordered some more in black. However, I found markertek to have the best price (however, they don't sell colored variants, so you can only get black) @ $0.70/ft.
    The cable is VERY flexible. I absoultely love it. The capacitance is pretty low. I think it's second only to the custom belden L-1C that bluejeanscable sells (fwiw, they also own rawcable.com). I know it is expensive compared to the cheaper gepco cable, but this cable is just really nice. Plus, it's double shield and polyethelene core supposedly helps make it more resistant to EMI, making it a great for my lousy noise-ridden civic. Or maybe I just bought into the marketing... either way, I really do like this cable a lot. Much more so than some of the random mic cables I've used this past year.

I also went with black neutrik NYS352BG (black shell with gold male) & NYS352BAG (black shell with nickel male) connectors. I like these a lot as they are very easy to assemble. Simply solder the male and then crimp/clamp down the female.

So, here are a few pictures for those who are interested. I thought I had posted some a while back from my previous build, but I guess I didn't. I made 2 sets: each with blue/black cable to help me keep things separated a bit.

Last edited by ErinH; 09-04-2010 at 07:24 PM.

Real Name
    Matt
    Thanks Erin. I was going to go dig this up elsewhere soon.

Can you give me an idea of radius for a 90* bend, like coming off an amp? Basically how much room is needed on that side of a device?

Thanks

Real Name
    Matt
    And does anyone know of a cost effective version of cable that has 2-4 strands for a multi-channel? Or is everyone simply bundling inside tech flex or using zip ties?

gepco sells it in multipair from 2 pair to a bazillion pair.

Founding Member
    I have had great luck with canare star-quad. I know Chad doesn't like it though. What was your reasoning for that again?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Daishi View Post
    I have had great luck with canare star-quad. I know Chad doesn't like it though. What was your reasoning for that again?
    Let me help him. It's expensive. Compared to Gepco, it's just a lot of money and the Gepco stuff is top notch.

Founding Member
    Really? I was getting dual twisted pair shielded for something like 0.18 a foot. I never could find gepco online in anything less than 500ft rolls.

Real Name
    Adam
    Markertek, among others, sells it by the foot. I bought 500 ft rolls directly from Gepco a few years ago. It's about time to reorder.

Starquad isn't bad, but it is bulkier than 61801ez and that's not particularly helpful.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Founding Member
    Adam, if you order some up I would like to buy 50-100 ft off of you would probably both save us some cash that way.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Daishi View Post
    Really? I was getting dual twisted pair shielded for something like 0.18 a foot. I never could find gepco online in anything less than 500ft rolls.
    That is pretty cheap. I think the cheapest I ever saw it at was .25 a foot. Still, the Gepco I use I got for like .09 a foot. Very cheap, and I bought about 250ft of it. Still have the roll, and I use that cable for a lot of projects.