Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scan Speak D3004/602000 test

Scan Speak D3004/602000 test

Not sure if this was seen in the Klippel Test thread by everyone or not...

Quote Originally Posted by ErinH View Post
    Scan Speak D3004/602000 Testing is complete:

You can find the full analysis here:
    Scan Speak Illuminator D3004/602000 Tweeter Testing | Medley's Musings

Here are some sample data points:

I'll be conducting LSI testing soon.
    Last edited by ErinH; 07-31-2012 at 08:17 PM.
    Your ears: The best tools you have... and they're free, too!

Real Name
    George
    One could theoretically cross this at 1.3khz! So many Scan Speak stories... Every now and then I screw up the crossover points. Once I ran the deep chamber version of this guy fullrange. The bass was actually dope. If any of my laptops used a Scan 1" Illuminator i'd be very very happy but my keyboard would probably flex. Another time I ran the 3/4" down to 1.6khz by mistake. I notice the frequency response and such was odd, but I didn't figure it was the crossover so I tunned it! Straightened the FR and everything and ran it like that for a month, the left crossed over at 1.6khz overlapping with the BG neo8 up to 5khz, and the right crossed properly 5khz and up.
    2001 Honda S2000
    Head: Pioneer P99 + Samsung Galaxy S3
    Amplifiers: 3,000w+ Zeff class G/H power
    4 way: Aurum Cantus AST2560 Air Motion Transformers, BG Neo8-s Planar transducers, Peerless XLS 10" MAC midbass woofers, Tympany LAT700 x2

Erin, the impedance plot for the 1" scan is labeled as the Alibaba.

Quote Originally Posted by t3sn4f2 View Post
    Erin, the impedance plot for the 1" scan is labeled as the Alibaba.
    Grrrrrr

Quote Originally Posted by ErinH View Post
    Grrrrrr
    Almost there......lol

"D300"
    Last edited by t3sn4f2; 07-31-2012 at 08:38 PM.

fixed.

i really need a nap...

Well at least you know we're looking

I was starting to wonder...

;)

Real Name
    Adam
    Erin, would it make sense to window the relative distortion plots to the same bandwidth you used for the other FR plots? Having the low frequencies in there causes the chart to include that distortion peak which in turn causes the scale to be larger than what we need.

To make the charts comparable maybe there ought to be a standard x and y dimension for tweeters, one for widebanders, one for mids, etc..

In any case, that looks like a pretty impressive tweeter. Dominant distortion component is second order and the higher orders are barely detectable in the bandwidth in which it's likely to be used.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Yea, I can do that.

As odd as it may sound, I did the zoomed window for that reason, specifically. Also, the data below 80hz was subject to the room more than the driver. Now, I'm measuring in the nearfield... inches away rather than 1/2m. This was decided upon after talking with one of my contacts at Klippel. We discussed the pros/cons and comparing measurements between the two, there seems to be little (if any) difference which shows me the accuracy up high is still good and I still get the benefit of LF measurement. But, months removed, looking back at the data I actually don't like windowing in because it just doesn't seem as "whole". Plus, in the case of this driver, windowing below some frequency where you still have THD & 2nd order doesn't serve you well... you'd really have to sacrifice the 2nd order data to see any subsequent harmonics simply because everything below 2nd order is so low. At 2nd order, you have 1.75% and at 4th order it's 0.2%. It's splitting hairs to see any difference. Not all drivers will behave the same, of course, but you see what I mean.

That said, I can easily provide two versions: one full bandwidth and one zoomed in. I could do passbands, but, really, hard limiting myself to that would really make it more of a PITA when an off-nominal case occurs in either direction (ie: it's distortion parameters are way high and windowing down doesn't do anything or it's distortion is so low that the pre-set window makes no sense). I just tried this with a handful of test data and that's the conclusion I came to. I actually just edited this very post because my initial typing had pre-determined bandpasses for each type of driver. I realized that wasn't going to work well after looking at a few data sets.

Subject to debate, of course. I really don't care... I didn't even have anything with the previous postings set in stone. I just did whatever would allow you to see enough of the story to draw a meaningful conclusion. So, if you guys want a zoomed in version, that's cake... I'll just pick a pass band that makes sense and call it "zoomed". ;)