Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Corvette engine unveiled: the fifth generation of Chevy small block is here

Real Name
    George

New Corvette engine unveiled: the fifth generation of Chevy small block is here

This was an exciting time since the Chevy small block is the most versatile high performance engine in the world. It ends up in more kit cars, super cars, and garage built cars than any other 400hp+ engine. The Corvette is also the best selling premium sports car topping the 911 and other similarly abled cars. It goes in trucks etc...

This is the best source of info on it, that's what media outlets seem to use and post all over the web:
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...Za95iAPYYbh-Og

450hp +
    465 lbs
    more compact than any other V8 on the market
    27mpg+ on the freeway in the 'Vette

It has the worlds first direct injection implementation on a push-rod motor. The rest of the technology was tested in limited production on the old blocks: cylinder deactivation and variable valve timing.

Personally I expected at least 505hp out of this base motor but GM seemed to focus on fuel efficiency instead of power. Power was more a by product of direct injection than a goal. The greatest advancement would have been to get variable valve timing that would give lift and duration control. That would make the small block chevy engine the best V8 in production imo. A shame, but decent new engine nonetheless.
    2001 Honda S2000
    Head: Pioneer P99 + Samsung Galaxy S3
    Amplifiers: 3,000w+ Zeff class G/H power
    4 way: Aurum Cantus AST2560 Air Motion Transformers, BG Neo8-s Planar transducers, Peerless XLS 10" MAC midbass woofers, Tympany LAT700 x2

Quote Originally Posted by cvjoint View Post
    Personally I expected at least 505hp out of this base motor but GM seemed to focus on fuel efficiency instead of power. Power was more a by product of direct injection than a goal. The greatest advancement would have been to get variable valve timing that would give lift and duration control. That would make the small block chevy engine the best V8 in production imo. A shame, but decent new engine nonetheless.
    At their core, performance and efficiency are the same thing, or at least have a lot in common. They're both about upping the ratio of power output to fuel input. The manufacturer will apply the gains differently depending on the application (example: Honda's VTEC was used for extra power in their sports cars and extra gas mileage in Civics). I find it natural to think of efficiency as a core goal of performance R&D, although they're widely perceived to be in opposition.

Real Name
    George
    Yeah, direct injection works like that. Cylinder deactivation on the other hand just adds bulk and complexity and offers nothing performance wise.

VTEC itself became more like a marketing banner. The only economy VTEC that's like the original in the 90's is the J35A4 and up V6 engines, in that it's a cam shifting design.
    2001 Honda S2000
    4 way: Aurum Cantus AST2560 Air Motion Transformers, BG Neo8-s Planar transducers, Peerless XLS 10" MAC midbass woofers, Tympany LAT700 x2

Agreed, cylinder shutoff sounds too complicated. I'd rather they just give us a 7th gear, or a really tall 6th gear for the freeway. That would keep the RPM nice and low and keep the background noise down.

Quote Originally Posted by cvjoint View Post
    Cylinder deactivation on the other hand just adds bulk and complexity and offers nothing performance wise.
    I doubt they did it for performance, rather for reducing running costs as is the norm these days (and it was about time as cars were getting heavier and thirstier for about 20 years now, in the name of passive safety).
    Nick
    Virtus probata florescit: reversio

Real Name
    George
    What gets me is that it only turns into a 4 cylinder while cruising. So much engineering for so little reward. If you really wanted to save gas that 4 cylinder mode can run a lot more. Maybe they'll have different phase in and phase out schedules for the truck versions.
    2001 Honda S2000

Real Name
    George
    New Corvette was showcased today:

This is the best video for the reveal imo:

2001 Honda S2000

Real Name
    Kelvin
    Freakin nice looking car... Dunno what real Corvette afficionados think about the new design but I LOVE IT!!!!!
    Kinda reminds me of a Ferrari 458 Italia when looking at the front headlights and hood...

Wish I could afford 1...

Kelvin

Real Name
    George
    The Corvette fans hate that rear end, particularly the tail lights. It looks too close to the Camaro.... These guys are very conservative but the interior alone is a huge improvement over the old one.

There is a lot of stuff in common with Ferrari. The way the optimize sections of the aluminum chassis, the magnetic shocks that Ferrari got from GM...
    2001 Honda S2000

I want one too. But yeah, round taillights would have been nice.