Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scan Speak Top of the Line Subwoofer!

Real Name
    George
    Quote Originally Posted by durwood View Post
    hifi and sub in the same sentence? You are joking right?

Most likely due to multiples sharing the load and not necessarily the particular speaker. This is often overlooked. As long as the driver is up to the task and you can use multiples, then anything similar would also be impressive.
    No I am not. I would like you to try the RE XXX 12" XBL version. I'm sure the Xmax is out of this world on it too.
    2001 Honda S2000
    Head: Pioneer P99 + Samsung Galaxy S3
    Amplifiers: 3,000w+ Zeff class G/H power
    4 way: Aurum Cantus AST2560 Air Motion Transformers, BG Neo8-s Planar transducers, Peerless XLS 10" MAC midbass woofers, Tympany LAT700 x2

Real Name
    George
    I have to remind myself how Danish 12"s sound. I just bought three 12" Peerless XXLS!!!!

I used a 10" xxxls for midbass once, but never as subs. Can't wait to see how they sound IB especially compared to the Vifa NE12
    2001 Honda S2000
    4 way: Aurum Cantus AST2560 Air Motion Transformers, BG Neo8-s Planar transducers, Peerless XLS 10" MAC midbass woofers, Tympany LAT700 x2

Real Name
    Chris
    Lol, getting rid of the lats? Or just trying things out?

Real Name
    George
    Before I modify the firberglass cage to move them in I want to try standard 12s again just to make sure the LATs are as good as I think they are. I always doubt myself!

Once I optimize that IB baffle for the LATs, no standard 12 will ever fit in my car again.
    2001 Honda S2000

Real Name
    Chris
    Ah, makes sense. Might as well make sure.

I wonder how ScanSpeak rates their linear xmax figures. On the Illuminator their figures are just under what Erin's Klippel results show for them at 10%. I wonder if the same would be true for the subwoofers as well. In other words, if that 14mm rating would match up to a Klippel measured 10% figure.

Real Name
    George
    The Illuminator 7" first came out with a rating of +-6mm, then it went up to 9mm+-. The two Klippel tests we've seen so far have been 9.2mm or 10mm using the least linear parameter. So, either way it's underrated. In Erin's tests, the motor was linear to 11.5mm, which is what a reputable firm would rate it at if they were at least a bit stringent and realistic.

Depending on how you want to rate xmax, Illuminators and Revelators have been anywhere from mildly underrated to severely underrated. That is not the case with all Discovery drivers...
    2001 Honda S2000

I imagine they rate their subs using 20% since its a considered the standard for subwoofer drivers.
    Your ears: The best tools you have... and they're free, too!

Real Name
    George
    ^true. If you use that same threshold for the Illuminator 7" you may get 14mm xmax lols
    2001 Honda S2000

Real Name
    Chris
    George, I think I told you my plans at the last gtg. If this thing could get to 17mm as clean as the NE315 gets to 11.9, I could shrink the setup and drivers used by a third. That would give me much more flexibility in mounting them.

I'd be willing to wager it can or get real close to it.

Can the NE315 do 11.9? Spec says 9mm Xmax. Did Vance test this? Which issue?
    Your ears: The best tools you have... and they're free, too!