Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scan Speak Top of the Line Subwoofer!

Real Name
    Chris
    I cant seem to link it on my phone, but Georges project log here has the link to Vance's test, i believe on the second or third page of his build, when he went from AEs to the Vifas.

I have a subscription to VC Mag so if you can tell me a month/year of the issue I can download it and check it out.
    Your ears: The best tools you have... and they're free, too!

Real Name
    Kelvin
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinH View Post
    I'd be willing to wager it can or get real close to it.

Can the NE315 do 11.9? Spec says 9mm Xmax. Did Vance test this? Which issue?
    July 2010 ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Subwoofery View Post
    July 2010 ;)
    just saw that. thanks.

had to double check it. looks good. sucks that Bl limits the driver. i'm used to seeing most subs limited by Le(x). then again, if you prescribe to the notion that Le(x) is the worst form of distortion then maybe you want that trade off rather than having the driver reach inductance maximum and having the harmonics in a more audible range. who knows.
    Your ears: The best tools you have... and they're free, too!

Real Name
    George
    Did you see the suspension plot on that Vifa NE? Pure sex! I wonder if the Scan can match it even. ...and with such a narrow profile to boot.
    2001 Honda S2000
    Head: Pioneer P99 + Samsung Galaxy S3
    Amplifiers: 3,000w+ Zeff class G/H power
    4 way: Aurum Cantus AST2560 Air Motion Transformers, BG Neo8-s Planar transducers, Peerless XLS 10" MAC midbass woofers, Tympany LAT700 x2

Real Name
    Chris
    I've wondered a lot lately whether its worse to be suspension limited or motor limited. I did notice most subwoofers and woofers seem to be suspension limited. My goal this time is just to keep all the drivers away from hitting their limits, negating the issue.

Real Name
    George
    More linear is always better, we don't really get a choice. I think the distortion thresholds are picked so that it's 10% distortion regardless. That's when BL drops to .82% and CMS drops to .75%. The percentages are set so you get equal distortion. How comparable are the distortion produced from each? I don't know, I would think they are equally annoying/W. Klippel chose the thresholds to do just that.

These are all dumbed down versions of what is really happening. For dummies Xmax figures will do. Smarter kids will take into account the ingredients: motor, suspension, inductance. Even smarter kids will remember the actual curvature of each of the three for every speaker and weigh the contribution of each parameter to the total distortion figure in their minds. Geniuses will then step in and remind everyone Klippel curves are fitted curves, actual BL, LE, CMS is a lot more ragged. There is a clear tradeoff between ease of comparison and quality of data. High quality data is hard to compare, dumbed down data is easier to compare but misses important details.
    Last edited by cvjoint; 12-20-2012 at 01:11 AM.
    2001 Honda S2000
    4 way: Aurum Cantus AST2560 Air Motion Transformers, BG Neo8-s Planar transducers, Peerless XLS 10" MAC midbass woofers, Tympany LAT700 x2

Real Name
    Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by cvjoint View Post
    Geniuses will then step in and remind everyone Klippel curves are fitted curves, actual BL, LE, CMS is a lot more ragged. There is a clear tradeoff between ease of comparison and quality of data. High quality data is hard to compare, dumbed down data is easier to compare but misses important details.
    Exactly what my dad is trying to work out with his voice recognition/simulation program. Hes trying to get as close to real voice as possible, instead of the autotune sounding voice simulation.

I wonder how similar the cone material is to audio technologies paper foam sandwich?

Real Name
    George
    2001 Honda S2000