Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY Speaker Polarity Switch Box, another easy project.

Wow rough crowd! Some good points made in this thread, and I appreciate that.

Without making excuses for the hows or whys, I'll say this- I'm kinda like the guy who will spend months building a remote control attachment for his lawnmower to make it easier to mow, rather than spend the hour just mowing the damn yard. Some of these things I do just for the love of the project and I won't justify them as a "need" because they obviously aren't a necessity.

In this case I assumed ahead of time that the midrange speaker of the 3-way (MB/MR/TW) would need to be flipped 180 degrees to mate better with the rest. But, I wanted to also try the midrange speaker polarity correct and the tweeter and midbass reversed to see what difference that made in blending with the subs. It turned out that I was originally correct, and when all was said and done the midrange was wired in reverse and the box was removed and sold. With 6 front speakers though, and 2 possible wiring configurations for each, that's what- 36 combinations?

Foxy, I got the project box at Radio Shack, it was like $6 or $7 I think.

And thank you everyone for your comments and criticism, any conversation is welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by TREETOP View Post
    I'm kinda like the guy who will spend months building a remote control attachment for his lawnmower to make it easier to mow, rather than spend the hour just mowing the damn yard.
    word. I understand that entirely.
    I just did the same thing at work. We do a lot of analysis and it involves a WHOLE lot of copy/paste from test data into different formats. My group showed me how they do it, and I hated it... way too much manual copy/paste. Rather than do that, I started writing VB code (never done it in my life before... google is a life saver) for some of the functions. I spent nearly 2 days doing it, and in that time I could have complete 3 transfers of data, but what I did, has saved me hours and will save me countless more in the future. So, a solid 2 days worth of working toward something that will save me numerous hours work as I continue. so, yea, I hear you.

Speaking of mowers, I spent an hour and $10 yesterday DIY'ing my own cup holder on my mower. Wife said "can't you just hold on to it". Yea, I can... but I like the cupholder.

Quote Originally Posted by ErinH View Post

Speaking of mowers, I spent an hour and $10 yesterday DIY'ing my own cup holder on my mower. Wife said "can't you just hold on to it". Yea, I can... but I like the cupholder.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by TREETOP View Post
    Wow rough crowd! Some good points made in this thread, and I appreciate that.

Without making excuses for the hows or whys, I'll say this- I'm kinda like the guy who will spend months building a remote control attachment for his lawnmower to make it easier to mow, rather than spend the hour just mowing the damn yard. Some of these things I do just for the love of the project and I won't justify them as a "need" because they obviously aren't a necessity.

In this case I assumed ahead of time that the midrange speaker of the 3-way (MB/MR/TW) would need to be flipped 180 degrees to mate better with the rest. But, I wanted to also try the midrange speaker polarity correct and the tweeter and midbass reversed to see what difference that made in blending with the subs. It turned out that I was originally correct, and when all was said and done the midrange was wired in reverse and the box was removed and sold. With 6 front speakers though, and 2 possible wiring configurations for each, that's what- 36 combinations?

Foxy, I got the project box at Radio Shack, it was like $6 or $7 I think.

And thank you everyone for your comments and criticism, any conversation is welcome.
    I think most of us are like you. Hell, a lot of us are engineers by trade. That means, by nature we fix things till they're broke. Like you, if it's going to involve a project box and some cool connectors, I'll be all over it. Add soldering to the project and I'll be jerking off while doing it. Throw a map gas torch in there and jerking off won't be required. I'm just nutting myself.

Founding Member
    Me likey. Another project for the winter months for me it would appear.

So Gary and Chad are pushing the less than 180 degree flip, which I can understand. So what's the solution to making a cheap DIY unit to do incremental changes?

all pass filter.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniVanMan View Post
    I think most of us are like you. Hell, a lot of us are engineers by trade. That means, by nature we fix things till they're broke. Like you, if it's going to involve a project box and some cool connectors, I'll be all over it. Add soldering to the project and I'll be jerking off while doing it. Throw a map gas torch in there and jerking off won't be required. I'm just nutting myself.
    I just saw this--LOL. So true.

Founding Member
    Me = electrically retarded. Gotta elaborate Chad!

circuit #4.

Active Filters

There's a decent wiki on all pass filters too.

Founding Member
    If you guys beg/buy/borrow/steal a DCX2496, you can temporarily insert it into the car (I imagine a computer can do this too through line-in) and phase adjust your midbass to see exactly what kind of phase adjustment ballpark you are looking at.

Then you can build that allpass circuit and put it inline, then fine tune with some component swaps to get it perfect.