Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aura Sound NS3

Aura Sound NS3

Aura Sound NS3-193-8A1 | Medley's Musings

for $12, I'm not sure this can be beat... but the low sensitivity kills.

3.5mm linear xmax (bl limited)
    nearly ruler flat response from 200-5khz. notch out the peak at 6.5khz and you're flat to 10khz

Last edited by ErinH; 12-30-2012 at 07:11 PM.
    Your ears: The best tools you have... and they're free, too!

Real Name
    George
    Wouldn't it be funny if the best 3" full range is also the cheapest? Go Aura. I'm not so sure the low sensitivity is an issue. With a 4 layer coil odds are the temps are cool anyway and powering a small cone ain't a thing resources wise. I don't see the full report here but if the temps settled somewhat low I don't think compression would be worrisome. Given that linear motor low sensitivity is downplayed again. What a stout driver!
    2001 Honda S2000
    Head: Pioneer P99 + Samsung Galaxy S3
    Amplifiers: 3,000w+ Zeff class G/H power
    4 way: Aurum Cantus AST2560 Air Motion Transformers, BG Neo8-s Planar transducers, Peerless XLS 10" MAC midbass woofers, Tympany LAT700 x2

Interesting. My buddy and I just built a boombox using NS3s as woofers, coupled with Fountek FR89EX's and a pair of tweeters for dispersion. The NS3s are bandpassed from 60 hz to 400 hz. The bass performance is impressive. The lower bass is mainly distortion, which is why we aren't playing them all the way down, but they do get the job done. I know there are better choices for dedicated woofers, but we are power constrained at 10WPC.

Now that I'm looking at your test results, I think I'll try raising the crossover point and see what happens.

So let's say I'm planning to use NS3s, two per side, in narrow sealed towers for garage hi-fi, and I want them to play low enough to meet a sub (theoretically 80 hz). The towers have to be narrow so they take up as little space on my work bench as possible. How high should they play? I'm thinking no higher than 2khz, because that's where the THD starts to rise. Also, that has them playing at least 4 1/2 octaves, and I figure I want to cross them low to reduce IMD in the vocal range as much as possible. In this case I'd have to use a nice large format tweeter. Or can I extend them to say, 3.5 khz and use an Aura NT-1 tweeter? Is there a rule of thumb for the limit of dynamic range?

BTW, I donated to MM today. ;)

I have though this would be a interesting to use in a TL experiment.

R-

Real Name
    George
    The increase in HD over 2khz seems minor to me, the driver is flexible enough that it can be crossed just about anywhere. I would run it up to 3.5khz and cross to a 3/4 cheap tweeter. In the real world we don't only listen to 96db, whenever you go over it is the bottom frequencies that are most demanding, so HD is very dynamic.

Historically, that has been one of my annoyances with driver testing: the assumption that one HD test @x db is enough to infer HD at any output. That's complete BS. The scaling assumption does not hold. HD plots look entirely different at various output levels.

When we install speakers in a car it is even more complicated. The proper way to use HD plots is to know what the EQ. boosts and cuts are, as these induce more HD variations than the speaker itself, they overwhelm small blips in HD speakers will have.
    2001 Honda S2000
    4 way: Aurum Cantus AST2560 Air Motion Transformers, BG Neo8-s Planar transducers, Peerless XLS 10" MAC midbass woofers, Tympany LAT700 x2

I've tested a lot of drivers with the PS8 in line to see what happens to HD/IMD when a crossover is used. The results are pretty interesting. It really drives home how properly placed crossover use can negate a lot of distortion issues or at the least diminishes them pretty significantly outside the crossover passband. Especially high pass filters on midrange drivers' effect on high frequency distortion.
    Your ears: The best tools you have... and they're free, too!

I'm playing with the boombox pictured above, switching the xover point between 400 hz and 2000 hz. The upper drivers are Fountek FR89EX's. The NS3's are in at least 8L, so at least 4L each (maybe more due to stuffing). That's probably too much. Anyway, the Founteks play much nicer through the midrange. The NS3's sound a little tubby, or like the vocals are coming through a tube. The Founteks sound tighter and clearer. I did an EQ sweep to look for major problems to make sure that's not the issue. So, this changes my thinking on the project. I might just use NS3s for midbass and let another 3" or 2" take over from there.

Real Name
    George
    To me pretty much all metal drivers sound tubby like you say. There were only two exceptions, the Scan Illuminator 7" and the Seas Excel Magnesiums or Magnesium/Aluminum alloy. The Peereless 3" sounded like that, but the worse to this day was the Dayton RS. When I tried the RS and Excels folks used to say the Dayton is a cheaper 99% copy. Bull shit, I cannot stand those Daytons and the Excel is to this day the best metal cone, and possibly the best cone in general.
    2001 Honda S2000

Quote Originally Posted by cvjoint View Post
    To me pretty much all metal drivers sound tubby like you say. There were only two exceptions, the Scan Illuminator 7" and the Seas Excel Magnesiums or Magnesium/Aluminum alloy. The Peereless 3" sounded like that, but the worse to this day was the Dayton RS. When I tried the RS and Excels folks used to say the Dayton is a cheaper 99% copy. Bull shit, I cannot stand those Daytons and the Excel is to this day the best metal cone, and possibly the best cone in general.
    Doesn't the Fountek also have a metal cone???
    Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.