Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seas H1397-04 (27TAFNC/D) 1" Aluminum Dome Tweeter Test Results

Seas H1397-04 (27TAFNC/D) 1" Aluminum Dome Tweeter Test Results

Just finished testing this driver:
    Seas H1397-04 (27TAFNC/D) 1″ Aluminum Dome Tweeter | Medley's Musings

Looks like a really good value. No wonder so many people like it.

Your ears: The best tools you have... and they're free, too!

Does look like a great driver for that footprint!
    2010 Fusion Sport: SQ Install w/Dash Sub - Build Log of the Month Winner | July 2011

Nexus 7 | DAC | miniDSP | Aura MR2150 x 3 | NRT18-8 | RS180-4 | neo8-s

Do you know if it can be disassembled to become more compact?

Real Name
    George
    Seas is looking really stout with these guys. They've always had great performing tweeters for low $.
    2001 Honda S2000
    Head: Pioneer P99 + Samsung Galaxy S3
    Amplifiers: 3,000w+ Zeff class G/H power
    4 way: Aurum Cantus AST2560 Air Motion Transformers, BG Neo8-s Planar transducers, Peerless XLS 10" MAC midbass woofers, Tympany LAT700 x2

nope

Real Name
    Kelvin
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    nope
    If I remember correctly, when mobilesoundscience just started, you had a post that stated that you did not like this tweeter as much as the DIYMA community... Correct?

Kelvin

Seas tweeters tend to be laid back, if that's your thing then they're great. My best friend has setup a Seas system and it sounds very nice (pankrok's CX7 over in DIYMA, check it out). It may lack a bit in imaging but it's very correct tonally and it also gives you the sense that it can go up to silly volume levels with no strain at all. And that's without a sub as well.

I guess his amps help though, they're Brax Graphic Editions.

We've also listened to several home audio speakers made with SEAS drivers, there things are even better. I like a top end sparkle (in the sense of precision and detail) but if implemented incorrectly, it can get fatiguing after a while. Not an issue with the norwegian drivers.
    Nick
    Virtus probata florescit: reversio

Real Name
    George
    I think the Vifa NE destroys the entry level tweeters such as this one. As good as the Seas is the NE rivals their Lotus line tweeters for a fraction of the cost. If I were to buy domes again there would only be two options: the low cost Vifa NE or the 100% perfected Scan Speak Illuminator. That is of course if depth is not an issue.
    2001 Honda S2000
    Head: Pioneer P99 + Samsung Galaxy S3
    Amplifiers: 3,000w+ Zeff class G/H power
    4 way: Aurum Cantus AST2560 Air Motion Transformers, BG Neo8-s Planar transducers, Peerless XLS 10" MAC midbass woofers, Tympany LAT700 x2

I'm new to this Vifa NE. Are You talking about the 1" version or the 3/4"?

Quote Originally Posted by Subwoofery View Post
    If I remember correctly, when mobilesoundscience just started, you had a post that stated that you did not like this tweeter as much as the DIYMA community... Correct?

Kelvin
    Yeah, I don't care for them all that much. They did not seem to have their shit together. But many really like them. Someone bought a pair and emailed me about them I'll try to find it and post up my reply....

Here ya go.

Actually after the excitement of new speakers wore off I was not impressed. Then I broke them in for a good period pretty loud and they opened up a bit (**** likely did this already ** *******.) My complaints were lack of detail, there were times I could not tell if something was supposed to be a sax or a trumpet and all the cymbals sounded the damn same and had "no stick" except the hi-hat.

Now, I know this sounds disappointing to you BUT I'll quote someone from another forum here and it may help, "Chad likes "studio reference" type sound. In other words, fuck any of that "warmth" shit that muddies up the fucking sound." That guy has also heard my car a couple times. It's really not far from the truth, I work in front of studio monitors or similar all day and at home, so I'm used to the T's being crossed and the I's dotted. I'm really picky about tweets. Only a couple people I have talked to have shared my response to them, everyone else just loves them, including Zaph. They are not bad at all they were just not for me, especially listing to things that I recorded/mixed/mastered.

I've had 2 pair of Vifas in the car after that and loved both. One was a buyout M&K set and the other the XT25 rings (what I use now), just for reference.
    He seemed a bit disappointed then I replied....

Well, on the upside they were VERY VERY easy to mate to the mid/bass drivers. That worked quite well. There’s a fantastic chance that you will like them, everyone has different tastes and mine stems from working and playing in a rather non-typical situation.
    Last edited by Chad; 01-10-2013 at 09:35 PM.