Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Low Cost DIY Interconnects

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by capnxtreme View Post
    I haven't really seen a better option than the Neutrik NYS373.
    Boy, I just wasn't impressed with those connectors. They are definitely affordable ($1.29 at PE, even cheaper if you guys get a group buy going) but I was unfortunately unimpressed by their piss poor plastic (my wife would be so proud of my aliteration) strain relief. I could never get the damn thing to do anything other than piss me off. For an extra $.10 a piece I prefer the Switchcraft SW3502AB connector.
    -Trevor

Real Name
    Adam
    I'm surprised to hear about the trouble with the plastic strain relief. I've occasionally misaligned one and had to unscrew the barrel and try again, but using the 61801ez cable it seemed to work pretty well.

For those who haven't used them, these are the Neutrik Connectors we're talking about:

You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Founding Member
    Maybe that was the problem, I was using Canare star quad mic cable which is considerably larger in diameter than the Gepco stuff (BTW my next DIY RCAs WILL include gepco cable, Chad has me convinced its the bee's knees) although it is still within the listed size recommendations for the connectors.
    -Trevor

I think I got the tip from Uncle Chad, but I can attest that the NYS373 strain relief fits perfect over some 61801EZ + a little bit of heat shrink (without the shrink, the Gepco is a little too thin).

For my Y-splitter, I was able to stuff 2x 61801EZ into an NYS373 after I removed the strain relief altogether.
    Last edited by capnxtreme; 10-13-2010 at 10:01 PM.

Real Name
    Adam
    Yeah, the little bit of heat shrink lets the plastic chuck get a firm grip on the cable.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

IIRC those are too small for the schmucks that insist on quad cable in a car. I need to check tomorrow evening. not in the shop now and I'm in my underwear and barefoot..... not a pretty sight.

I need to build some cables, but it was too cheap to buy what I needed ATM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I'm surprised to hear about the trouble with the plastic strain relief. I've occasionally misaligned one and had to unscrew the barrel and try again, but using the 61801ez cable it seemed to work pretty well.

For those who haven't used them, these are the Neutrik Connectors we're talking about:

I was told that the Neutrik NYS373 has been replaced by the Rean NYS373 which is not the same as the old Neutrik model. Anyone else have anymore info on this?

Quote Originally Posted by shinjohn View Post

On the SOURCE end, I twisted drain and black together as shown. On the receiving end, I cut the drain wire completely off.
    Ok.. this may sound dumb, but it has been nagging me. I totally understand the need to ground the sheild on one end...as a dump, but what is the significance of doing it on the source end vs. the amplification end?

Founding Member
    That's a good question, I would also like to know the answer to this. I did my wiring before I read that you should ground the shield at the source end so all mine are grounded at the amplifiers. My setup has no audible noise. This certainly doesn't prove anything but just something I wanted to throw out there.
    -Trevor