Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Low Cost DIY Interconnects

Quote Originally Posted by Nee View Post
    Ok.. this may sound dumb, but it has been nagging me. I totally understand the need to ground the sheild on one end...as a dump, but what is the significance of doing it on the source end vs. the amplification end?
    well the source end is more likely ground ;) for example the JL amps have the sleeve as the inverting input ;)

It's also a pretty common standard.

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    well the source end is more likely ground ;) for example the JL amps have the sleeve as the inverting input ;)

It's also a pretty common standard.
    What happens if you ground a sleeve to an inverting input? I wanna say instant explosion, but that can't be right :p
    -Trevor

Quote Originally Posted by trevordj View Post
    What happens if you ground a sleeve to an inverting input? I wanna say instant explosion, but that can't be right :p
    That's the beauty of a balanced receiver, you can ground it and have no issues, or you can use it as an inverting input. Thus why all amps SHOULD have them.

Founding Member
    Total newb question, and now off the original topic (if it is so laughably basic let me know and I can search),what is an inverting input (probably better to ask what does it do)?
    -Trevor

Thanks for the reply.. and Thanks to the OP for the fine detailed pictures and explanation

Now i need to go sit in my car and do some soldering. :gr_grin:

Quote Originally Posted by trevordj View Post
    Total newb question, and now off the original topic (if it is so laughably basic let me know and I can search),what is an inverting input (probably better to ask what does it do)?
    It's needed to accept a balanced signal (check out Balanced Line Drivers).

A balanced transmission contains both the signal and an inverted "mirror" of the signal. On the receiving end, the mirrored signal is inverted again and added to the original signal (or IOW, the inverted signal is subtracted from the non-inverted one).

Theoretically, this cancels out any noise that should have been evenly picked up by the + and - twisted pair.

Even when the signal isn't balanced, I think the inverting input could still cancel out some noise picked up on the "ground" wire.
    Last edited by capnxtreme; 10-18-2010 at 07:58 PM.

Founding Member
    Thanks for that! I always wondered how that worked, I'm going to do some more reading on it. Thanks for sending me in the right direction!
    -Trevor

I'm shallow and do not like the look of those Neutriks, so I went with these:

However, I've only done my own RCA once with the old ZN5.0 rca ends which have a little hole to solder the negative/drain wire to. These do not and it seems like it would slightly more of a PTA to solder.

Quote Originally Posted by SundownAudioNY View Post
    I was told that the Neutrik NYS373 has been replaced by the Rean NYS373 which is not the same as the old Neutrik model. Anyone else have anymore info on this?
    What is everyone's go-to for RCA ends these days? For me it was the Neutrik NYS373, but I'm not clear on if the Reans are as good.

I've only used the Reans myself and I like them just fine. No strain relief, though, which some people seem to like.
    Your ears: The best tools you have... and they're free, too!