Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Low Cost DIY Interconnects

Founding Member
    Has anyone tried these RCA connectors from monoprice? They are right about the same price (if you purchase 20) as the popular Rean NYS373 but actually appear to have a proper strain relief. My previous favorite switchcraft model is no longer available from the inexpensive source I found before. My favorite model for home audio use (made by Atlona) is no longer produced so I am back to square one. As a backup I ordered several Rean NYS352BGs which appear to be identical to the NYS373 minus the worthless plastic strain relief and color coded stripe option.
    -Trevor

The strain relief on my 373's is spring metal, but there is a plastic chuck in there that bites the wire.....

Founding Member
    Maybe I used some different ones back when I tried the Reans (or maybe I didn't use them properly). I can't remember for sure if it was the 373 or not, I just remember the damn strain relief was unusable. I was also hell bent on using coax cable for RCAs at the time which was a lot larger diameter. Now that I am using Gepco mic cable pretty much exclusively I may need to try the 373s again. Hell, I'm going to order some now and give them another shot.
    -Trevor

Founding Member
    Nevermind, I'm not going to order them. For once I decided to tear into my stash and see if I still had any of the old RCA connectors that I tried hanging around before just jumping online and buying more. The Rean NYS373s that I have definitely do not have a metal strain relief. It is a plastic chuck style strain relief only. I remember it being difficult to use and very flimsy so I didn't use it. They may have changed now or, if I recall correctly, they changed a couple years ago when they went from being branded Neutrik to Rean. Anyway, here is one that I pulled out just for reference:

That black piece to the right is the only strain relief this thing came with. It is just a wonky piece of plastic.
    -Trevor

Does the plastic relief have like a rubber hole in it? Like the neutrik 1/4 inch connectors?

Founding Member
    Ya, it does. Sorry the photos above are kinda dark.

Edit: The rubber assembly is actually attached to the connector body itself. The plastic chuck doesn't have a rubber hole.
    -Trevor

Founding Member
    Here is a better photo:

-Trevor

Real Name
    Alan
    Like this?

that is not a shitty strain relief, if the cable fits correctly that fucker is going NOWHERE.

Now, my metal spring 373's require a band of heat shrink on 61801 for it to bite into.

that is not a shitty strain relief, if the cable fits correctly that fucker is going NOWHERE.

Now, my metal spring 373's require a band of heat shrink on 61801 for it to bite into.