Thread: BG Neo10

BG Neo10

A guy on tech-talk sent me 4 of these to play with so I baseline tested all 4, compared them against each other, then did the full testing on the better of the 4 samples.

The one thing I will say is that 3 of the 4 perform really bad in terms of HD. The one I wound up doing further testing on looked much better but still wasn't great.

The FR on these rises +10dB from 1khz to 3khz and winds up at +18dB from 1khz to about 8khz. Yikes! Off-axis response on the horizontal axis looks pretty good with some issues above 5khz. CSD shows ringing around 6khz which shows up in every FR measurement as well. Vertical off-axis response is bad but I've yet to see a ribbon/planar that isn't bad vertically. (bad meaning no controlled dispersion... just wonky).

HD isn't too bad; some spots here and there may be of concern but nothing terrible and overall 3rd is pretty low (minus the peaky spots). *Now, if you look at the comparison HD plots, it's an entirely different ballgame and the HD is so high/sporadic that it's just scary.*

Crossed from 300-2khz seems to be where I'd be expecting to land - if I were using them in my own setup - given the upward swing in response and the poor vertical dispersion off-axis. YMMV.

Link:
    Bohlender Graebenar Neo10 Planar Transducer | Medley's Musings

teasers...

Your ears: The best tools you have... and they're free, too!

Real Name
    George
    It looks like they test a little better at high power?! The 96db graphs looks as expected imo, under 1% from 300hz to 3000hz, with the exception of two small wiggles at 500hz and the very narrow one at 1khz.

Could you do the IMD as well? I suspect that's their strength since inductance is virtually inexistent. It would be nice to compare it to cones.

I can't really tell from the pictures, but did you use some gasketing foam on these? The stamping sort of prop the driver up and massive cancellation can occur on the baffle if not sealed well.
    Last edited by cvjoint; 01-19-2013 at 12:56 AM.
    2001 Honda S2000
    Head: Pioneer P99 + Samsung Galaxy S3
    Amplifiers: 3,000w+ Zeff class G/H power
    4 way: Aurum Cantus AST2560 Air Motion Transformers, BG Neo8-s Planar transducers, Peerless XLS 10" MAC midbass woofers, Tympany LAT700 x2

Yea, I used silicone.

No IMD. Already boxed up. I wanted to push them a bit more but was scared to since I'm not used to a planar type driver. Was scared I wouldn't get the tell-tale signs of distress until it's too late.

Real Name
    George
    awww. Well, it was a good run. Thanks for the test!
    2001 Honda S2000
    4 way: Aurum Cantus AST2560 Air Motion Transformers, BG Neo8-s Planar transducers, Peerless XLS 10" MAC midbass woofers, Tympany LAT700 x2

sorry about that, dude.

thanks!

Real Name
    George
    Any more testing performed in the last few months. Haven't seen any activity in the regular places.
    2001 Honda S2000

Real Name
    Chris
    I think Erin's stepped away for a little while getting settled into his new house. No word on in and when testing would resume.