Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expanding MSS

Real Name
    Alan

Expanding MSS

There has been lots of discussion behind the scenes about which direction to take the forum. Many of the older, experienced members have moved on due to families, careers or other hobbies, but for the forum to thrive, we to need invite existing members back, and attract new ones...most of which will be younger and less experienced.

MSS was founded on the belief that the "art" of car audio lies within knowing the automotive environment, choosing the right equipment, and implementing a plan. I don't want to get away from these principles, however I think we need to figure out a way to communicate ideas without simply posting numbers and buzzwords that cause people to just scan over the information without absorbing the meaning.

I want MSS to be fun and inviting as well as informative. I've already started by giving the forum a new look, and I hope to streamline a few other things. I would appreciate any feedback that you could give me, whether positive or negative.

Thanks,
    Alan
    Last edited by AL9000; 02-20-2013 at 04:59 PM.

Real Name
    Alan
    One thing that I don't plan on doing is completely covering the site with ads, banners and pop-ups :headbang:

Sounds great. I really do like this place.. but it just seems a bit slow to keep me coming back daily.

As with other forums on the internet.. they just need something to jump start them. Usually it's controversial, or maybe just something that this forum has that others don't. That way people will want to join to reply, and hopefully stay.
    2010 Fusion Sport: SQ Install w/Dash Sub - Build Log of the Month Winner | July 2011

Nexus 7 | DAC | miniDSP | Aura MR2150 x 3 | NRT18-8 | RS180-4 | neo8-s

Quote Originally Posted by BowDown View Post
    Sounds great. I really do like this place.. but it just seems a bit slow to keep me coming back daily.

As with other forums on the internet.. they just need something to jump start them. Usually it's controversial, or maybe just something that this forum has that others don't. That way people will want to join to reply, and hopefully stay.
    Well the Steve M bashing was fun while it lasted. Then I made fun of how his subordinate messenger spelled things and it was over.... I mean destoried.

I've been optimistic in the past that some people have shared music that they've been getting into lately, and that's led to new discoveries for some of us. Isn't that what got us all started down this path? Perhaps the music sub-forum could be brought out of off-topic and given a prominent spot on the homepage, perhaps with sub-forums for different genres. That way, others won't have to sift through garbage electronic crap with no words and never existed in real life and isn't really music to get to the death metal. :poke:

Sifting leads to discovery.

If only everyone was as open-minded as Uncle Chad.

If I don't like it it's just a click and a scroll into forgotten-land.

Making a forum too clickey and segregated leads to pissing people off, also adds more work to management in keeping shit in the right place. Eventually people will make threads and go hang out in their own little closets.

I am more concerned about the opposite: that people will click and scroll if they don't like this or that, and eventually conclude there's nothing worth viewing there and stop visiting.

For the moment, we don't have enough content to separate everything out too much. We do have some innovative categories in the on-topic section, and those are what drew me to the forum in the first place.

I think a few solid write-ups, like theoretical or instructional articles clarifying topics that normally take lots of research to learn about, would help us reach our target membership. Then share the links strategically.