Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crimp tool for 4 AWG and larger power wire

Founding Member
    Thanks for this information guys, I have been using a hammer crimper for years but I am going to give the hydraulic crimper a go. Heading to HF this weekend with the 25% off coupon in hand.
    -Trevor

Real Name
    Alan
    Quote Originally Posted by trevordj View Post
    Thanks for this information guys, I have been using a hammer crimper for years but I am going to give the hydraulic crimper a go. Heading to HF this weekend with the 25% off coupon in hand.
    Just make sure to open the box and check to make sure all the dies are in the box and test it for functionality.

Founding Member
    I'll do that. Is there anything in particular I need to pay attention to with regard to the functionality? I'm thinking just making sure the action is smooth, there are no hydraulic leaks, and the jaws close symmetrically.
    -Trevor

Real Name
    Alan
    That's all. I got my first one home and when I went to use it, hydraulic fluid squirted everywhere. It turns out one of the seals was broken/twisted and it somehow got past the strenuous Chinese QA inspectors. ;)
    I took it back and got another one, but checked it thoroughly before leaving.

Founding Member
    I picked this bad boy up but haven't gotten a chance to use it yet. It's a pretty impressive tool for the $45 I paid for it.

Off topic: Does anyone else feel like they need to update their hepatitis C vaccination after visiting Harbor Freight or is it just me?
    Last edited by trevordj; 04-27-2013 at 04:21 PM.
    -Trevor

Real Name
    Alan
    LOL...it's the Big Lots of the tool world

Real Name
    Ian
    I looked at the HF crimper last time I was there but after looking at the dies that came with it it looked like the 0ga die was barely big enough to crimp a 4ga lug.

Founding Member
    $53? to heck with that. Every shop should have or needs at least a propane torch if not MAPP gas from Agent Orange for five dollars.

Heat your lug in place, dab solder on. Move on in life.

Need a re-do? Cut the lug off and start over. You're not convincing me the hammer-on model is any better for a re-do in the car compared to the torch. And I want my tools to be multitaskers unless there is a COMPELLING reason to able able to complete that one operation in that one way that requires that one tool.

Solder-fu. With a torch.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    Solder-fu. With a torch.
    Damn straight....

Let the argument begin....

Agreed. Break off some pieces of solder, put them in the crimp terminal with the wire, crush the terminal in a bench vise, finish with a torch. Maybe a soldering gun would work with a 4 AWG wire. A standard 50W soldering iron, you'll be sitting there for days waiting for it to melt.