Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Driver aiming for single-seat tune

Founding Member
    If we agree on something, then someone is about to nuke someone else.

Real Name
    Alan
    /0

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    If we agree on something, then someone is about to nuke someone else.
    No doubt. If you noticed, I refrained from my usual long drawn out promotion of monophonic type setups this time around because this and this :poke: hurts after a while.

Founding Member
    I did notice! makes it easier to agree with you, too.

I still advocate pointing "more" toward the back of the car than on axis (like maybe 50% between straight back and straight on axis as the "starting" point), even if it means not precisely blending the "aiming-angle" in with the natural lines of the vehicle, as you suggest.

But either way we are walking the same path compared to the cross-firing theory.

Did DPRK nuke seoul yet?

Founding Member
    My thought process is that if you can make the transition from the side glass and the a-pillar/windshield gradual instead of abrupt with multiple edges that will reflect, then slight angling within the horn formed can be adjusted within reason and it should hopefully only affect top end roll off. This is of course you never drive with the windows down.

I dealt with sail mounted tweeters for too long, and the drivers side one was always such a pain in the ass. His sail panel area seems to be bigger and not as much as a triangular corner, so it should be easier to make it happen.

Something no one has brought up is, all the attention paid to tweeter angling, but nothing about the midrange. This could be a recipe for never finding the sweet spot because the lobes covering different areas of the vehicle in the crossover region between tweeter and mid.

No nukes yet, but everyone is jockeying into position in a my penis is bigger than yours show of you will obey and not disrespect me.

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by durwood View Post
    Something no one has brought up is, all the attention paid to tweeter angling, but nothing about the midrange.
    Cause it wasn't in the scope of the discussion

Real Name
    Alan
    The tweets and mids will be together as a unit with mid-bass in the doors. The kickpanel on the element is so small, it's unusable as a speaker location.

Founding Member
    oh, big big big big big recommendation from me then. Single flat baffle. No matter what (no matter what.), mid and tweeter point in the same direction.

No matter what.

Just my opinion. Just my suggestion.

Real Name
    Javan
    Quote Originally Posted by AL9000 View Post
    The tweets and mids will be together as a unit with mid-bass in the doors. The kickpanel on the element is so small, it's unusable as a speaker location.
    Yes, But the A pillar is HUGE & pretty deep. I have been fighting with the urge of going tweeterless & putting a nice 3~4" extended range driver up in the A pillar aiming on axis (or rearward now after reading this thread) and narrowing the freq band of the mids in the doors to a little lower and not worry as much about their aiming if I can get a majority of the sound from the A pillars.