Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driver aiming for single-seat tune

Real Name
    Alan

Driver aiming for single-seat tune

Up until this point, I've been running Polk DB6501 components, with the mids in the stock location in the lower door and the tweet mounted up near the a-pillar.

I'm about to redo the whole system and will be making pods to hold Morel MDT-12 tweets and HiVi B3N mids. I will also be cutting, building out, and hopefully finessing Exodus Anarchy midbass into the doors. It's possible that I might move the pods up near the factory tweeter location on the a-pillar to get the distance equal to that of the Anarchy location, but I've got a 6to8 that I can do T/A with and I like the stage width, so I'm going to do some tinkering.

I've already decided that I'm going to tune it for the driver's seat, but what I'm wondering is should I aim both pods towards the driver's headrest, or would there be an advantage to aiming towards the center of the car?

Thoughts?

:thumbsup:

Just my opinion, but I prefer the sound/tunability of drivers aimed at my head to minimize reflections. There may be some staging sacrifices from going that route, but I think it would be worth it to mock up some test pods to try some different orientations to see how your specific car turns out with those options.

Real Name
    Chris
    My best luck was with both drivers equally off axis. This gave me the easiest time with both time alignment and eq. This put them both in my car at 17 degrees off axis, for the driver and the passenger.

Real Name
    Alan
    I think I've figured out a way to make the pod pivot so I can try different configurations.

Founding Member
    My opinion.

1. One seat car or no, they should be symmetrical. Partly for aesthetics, partly not to totally screw the passenger.

2. Crossfiring always leads to a narrow stage. Always. Always limits total width to the tweeter location, and reflections are terrible. Between windshield reflections and opposite window reflections.

3. They should be relatively on axis or even off axis firing more towards the rear of the car. This amplifies same-side window reflections helping to widen the stage if they reflections arent gross and/or are tamable. It reduces windshield reflections which IMO always helps with imaging. The bigest cost is the passenger is screwed after you oneseat tune it. You are sacrificing that up front anyways.

following that rule, I would experiment facing the tweeters towards the headrests of the same side of the car. driver to driver, passenger to passenger. But not the middle, more like the outside of the headrest. Then tweak it a smidge farther even.

Real Name
    Alan
    I have a Logitech wireless boombox that I use to listen to music and audiobooks.

I am surprised that this little 19" speaker somehow creates the illusion of an extremely wide stage. This past Friday, I was streaming Netflix on my phone, watching an old John Wayne movie, McClintock. There was a scene where the characters were at a corral, surrounded a bunch of cattle...and I would have sworn that there was a cattle to the left and right of me. It was as if I was listening to it in front of a larger speaker array spread out in front of me. I know that it was somehow using reflections to make the stage seem wider, but I would love to figure out how I could duplicate the effect in my car.

Founding Member
    if you could take those speakers and somehow point them towards each other (like most people do in their cars) rather than point them axially backward, that would narrow things up nicely.

(hint)

(imo)

Real Name
    Alan
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    if you could take those speakers and somehow point them towards each other (like most people do in their cars) rather than point them axially backward, that would narrow things up nicely.

(hint)

(imo)
    So, to make the front stage in my car wider, I should aim all the speakers straight back?

EDIT: I re-read your previous post.

Founding Member
    Not saying it "will" work. But so many DIYMA-ers are programmed to think that crossfiring is the 'only' way of installing tweeters in sails or a-pillars. Alternative methodologies can not only fix crossfiring problems, but provide independent benefits.

Like all car audio. For a given environment there are give-and-takes. Is what you take better than what you give up? IMO, there is no benefit to cross-firing or asymmetric installation that can make up for narrow stage or major windshield reflections. There ARE, imo, benefits to axial or outer-axial aiming that make up for the risk of window reflections and off-axis induced output differences that may be challenging to deal with.

especially for a one seat car.

Founding Member
    I think I would agree with what whiterabbit is saying.

If I were going to put tweeters in the sails, I would build the pods so that they blend as seemlessly to the window and the a-pillar panel minimizing diffraction the best you can. It forms a semi waveguide at that point in the car with the side window, pillar, windshield so the smoother you can make that, the better. This includes positioning the tweeter so there is not too much side window in relation to the front windshield or a-pillar.

Quote Originally Posted by AL9000 View Post
    I am surprised that this little 19" speaker somehow creates the illusion of an extremely wide stage. This past Friday, I was streaming Netflix on my phone, watching an old John Wayne movie, McClintock. There was a scene where the characters were at a corral, surrounded a bunch of cattle...and I would have sworn that there was a cattle to the left and right of me. It was as if I was listening to it in front of a larger speaker array spread out in front of me. I know that it was somehow using reflections to make the stage seem wider, but I would love to figure out how I could duplicate the effect in my car.
    People are so used to a stereo triangle that they may have forgotten that the environment can give you spacial cues, and is less trickery. They could be using some crosstalk cancellation to create a wider stage, but who knows.