Thread: Rubberized undercoating spray... anyone used it?

Founding Member
    Real Name
    Kevin

Rubberized undercoating spray... anyone used it?

I'm considering getting some of this stuff to spray in the wheel wells, under the trunk, & under the hood to hopefully kill some road noise. Has anyone used this, & what were the results? Is it worth it, or is there a cheaper alternative out there?

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    I'm considering getting some of this stuff to spray in the wheel wells, under the trunk, & under the hood to hopefully kill some road noise. Has anyone used this, & what were the results? Is it worth it, or is there a cheaper alternative out there?
    Road/tire noise is mostly airborne. You would need a good barrier/blocker to attenuate airborne noise. It is especially bad in wheel wells due to the shape of the well that amplifies it. Chances are your wheel wells are already sprayed with it for rust prevention and dings from pebbles.

Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV) is the cheapest alternative to work in the frequency range of road noise. Traditional sound deadening materials are not dense enough to block lower frequencies, only higher ones.

Real Name
    Chris
    ^yup. I've managed to negate a significant amount of road noise from the wheel wells by building partial front wheel skirts, and full rear wheel skirts. But, that's more than most people are willing to do, due to looks.

I have used the rubberized undercoating, back about 10 years ago, and I noticed no difference, even after putting 8 cans of it down. Used it under the floor and back wall of a chevy truck. I noticed no difference before and after.

Founding Member
    Also, you might notice most cars already have a layer of MLV on the firewall, but there is probably none in the trunk. It should be fairly easy to put MLV in the trunk. IF you want to go full luxury car style (Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, etc), then the floor is next. For best results, all pieces should be seamed together.

Founding Member
    Real Name
    Kevin
    Thanks for saving me some coin. I have some MLV in the garage that should be enough to cover the entire car from the bottom of the door windows down, across the floorboard, trunk floor & walls. Just thought there may be some added benefit.

Founding Member
    Actually that stuff is fairly cheap...what you saved is your time and sanity, which is costly. If you have the ability, it is always interesting to measure the noise floor before and after when you get time to do the MLV.