Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop System, the ongoing saga.

Shop System, the ongoing saga.

Years ago she no longer let me have my mastering rig in the house, I'm notorious for making a LOT of noise in my man-cave. I came across a set of JBL 4412's that needed work (there's a thread on them here) and that started a build. I thought I had a thread on it here, but I guess not.

The goal was loud, clear, and somewhat right as I will do some rough mastering out there and then finish at work in a real studio.

Currently the list is:

Dell computer with an optical out card
    Parasound DA/C 1600HD DA converter
    Onkyo Integra P304 preamp
    Behringer DCX2496
    Carver/Clair PM1.5 mono block amp for sub
    Carver PM175 for the mains
    Crown power line one for garage speakers
    Sub is an electrovoice EVX180B in a TL enclosure, it's ungodly huge and heavy, but it sounds great, thought of replacing it seem to go away so i must like it
    Mains are JBL4412s
    Garage speakers are Dayton in ceiling speakers mounted in the wall with an 8" cone and 1" silk.

Don't have a pic of the rack. on PB I think, I'll look though.

Last edited by Chad; 04-16-2013 at 03:04 PM.

Then I scored a deal on a Crown CT410 and a Shure P4800 DSP.

I already replaced the carver amp with the crown 410 and moved it to the garage speakers..... Notable difference. The PL1 is sitting int he shop all lonely now.

The P4800 is a commercial unit which has control voltage ins and outs. This will allow me to replace the Onkyo preamp, although I really love that unit too. (one less gain stage) So in order to do so I had to build a panel. From left to right...

Orange power LED, input2 1/4" inputs, mute switches with Bi-color LEDs below, then the 2 input gains that are mixed. The pots are Alps Blue velvets, they feel great, the knobs came off of an old Collins broadcast console.

Then I ran out of beer.

Tonight I discovered that the input and output CV 5V and ground are indeed tied together, this allows me to run buss bars across the panel considerably cutting down on wires and confusion.

I need to put my LV bipolar supply on the bench and start on the panel, the Bi-Color LEDs should arrive tomorrow, the 1/4" jacks by the weekend.

Work has been rather exhausting so i don't get a lot of time during the week to work on it. I may fire up the Shure Designer tomorrow night and get a programming game-plan.

Real Name
    Alan
    Nice little setup you got there. Got pics of the TL?

Northing internal as I made it before affordable digital photography. You can see it hiding under the bench. Looks like a bigass slot port box. One would think it was a simple vented enclosure too..... till you try to pick it up, ungodly heavy.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2

Every time I see that workbench I think, "what kind of electrical service does he have ran to that bench?"

3X30A @ 120v
    1x30A @ 240v

Did you add a subpanel for the garage?

came stock with the house.

Got the bi-color LEDs in today, laid out some diodes for the relays and have wire ready to go.

But I fixed My friends roommate's laptop... Because she dropped her roommate's laptop. Now I don't want to be in the shop anymore, big day at work tomorrow.

And I found a pic of the rack. before I added a power strip to the top and the carver PM350 was replaced with the crown PL1 which was replaced with the crown CT410, the one rackspace carver drives the garage speakers now.

And there is different (longer) rack rail in there now.

Last edited by Chad; 04-16-2013 at 09:20 PM.

Spent a rainy (flooding) yesterday evening programming and playing with the DSP. For it's vintage it is super easy to work with. Now I remember why i liked them so much 10 years ago!

I did come across an issue in that the control input only allows a volume adjustment of down to -30dB! WTF? But I think I can make that work by changing the gain structure in the DSP and not jack up the SNR. I bought a spare panel just in case I have to omit the knobs. (living in the sticks makes things like an impromptu panel purchase an afternoon affair.)

After that I pulled sussed out the LED dropping resistors that made a good match on the bi-color LEDs (the red was rather bright) and played with the measurements I needed to grind them down to increase the viewing angle.

Then I mounted the buss wiring to the panel and stared at how I was going to wire it.

While staring at it I realized I was out of beer and half shitfaced, especially for a weeknight. So I went to bed.

It seems that 40 was the magic year that slowed my recovery or wants to do that 2 nights in a row so tomorrow night it's beer and solder again
    Last edited by Chad; 04-20-2013 at 01:40 AM.