Thread: The truth about HDMI cables

Real Name
    Alan

The truth about HDMI cables

I had an argument with another customer at Best Buy about how all HDMI cables are the same. He was looking at some uber-expensive 6-footers and I was trying to save the guy some cash by telling him that the cheap ones would work exactly the same. I told him with digital, the picture is either perfect or it's shit...no in-between. He ignored me and bought some unobtanium-plated mega HDMI's with a creamy center and dark chocolate cover.

Anyway, here's a good article about it

Why all HDMI cables are the same | Crave - CNET

Founding Member
    Inexpensive HDMI cables are the way to go. I have always purchased monoprice's basic HDMI cables, they are like 5 bucks for a 10 foot long cable. They come in all sorts of colors too (I have this obsessive cable labeling thing), which I really like. These inexpensive cables have never failed on me.

I commend you for trying to convince a fellow consumer not to waste his money.
    -Trevor

Some folks don't want to hear it

Administrator
    The problem is is that's not the first expensive cable that guy has bought. He drank the Kool-Aid a long time ago, and now you're telling him that was pointless and stupid. Some of us would be "thank you, I always wondered about that" and others would be "you just stepped on my cock, fuck you!".

Went through that with a friend. Took him forever to get over expensive cables. Everybody else he knew (audiophiles) always told him more expensive is better. I finally got him turned around with some good ole logic.
    Just because you don't understand the data doesn't mean it's not relevant.

Founding Member
    +1 on the Monoprice HDMI cables, I have a bunch and never had a problem. They stock the ones with RedMere tech in them now as well, which I haven't needed to try because I don't have any long/skinny throws...