Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How can I maximize bass performance in my car?

Founding Member
    Please put weatherstripping under your license plate, if you have not already done so. No one else wants to hear your car.

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 600000WATTS View Post
    . Or better yet, how would you set it up to win a sub competition?
    given what you have, and assuming minimal additional work, I would do the following. Find a tone sweep CD. the IASCA disc works well. at reasonable volume, play the sweep. Listen carefully or measure with the radio shack meter, doesnt matter. Find the range that it's loudest. you'll hear a very clear rise in volume, peak, and decline. note the time range that happens.

At the competition, play the track, fast forward to that time, hit pause, and crank the volume. You're set. When you get in the lane, wait for them to tell you go. a couple seconds into the run, when you are sure you are on the clock, press unpause then quickly pause again. .25 to .5 seconds. That's all it takes to get a number. Rev if the rules allow, dont rev if the rules forbid. Ask first. Most rules say if you rev or open your door, you are DQ'd. 15 seconds in, try again. maybe volume up a click, maybe down if you can hear bad things from the sub. Maybe have your buddy sit on the trunklid. or three of them. Maybe not, might not help. 5 seconds left give it one last shot with everything you've learned during the run.

Burp. Burp. Done. Do not play sustained notes. Do not play music. Do not waste juice doing anything but the shortest possible burp that the mic will recognize. Watch other people doing their run and copy them. Do not do anything till the judges tell you (folks get upset when they get out of the car then get DQ'ed for that.)

After that, let the car charge back up. Usually your first burp is the best shot at it. after a few times doing this you'll know what the car likes best. You'll also see what other guys are doing who are in your class. copy what the class winner is doing in his car.