Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I maximize bass performance in my car?

How can I maximize bass performance in my car?

I drive a 2004 Sebring it's a pretty spacious car, similar to an Intrepid. I have two 12" subs, 2000 watts a piece in a ported enclosure. I have them sitting in the trunk facing the front with the seat down, which seems to give best performance so far but my car doesn't have the best acoustics and it kills a lot of the bass. I know if I put my system in an SUV or a hatchback it would pound 5 times harder. I know I won't be able to to get that kind of performance in a car but it's all I got and I don't feel like buying a new car audio system either this one is very nice. Also, I was wondering how can you make bass travel out of a car best and be heard/felt from far away? It's nice when I'm out camping and we listen to beats I'd like to get more impressive performance out of my system. Or better yet, how would you set it up to win a sub competition?

is this car a convertible ?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
    is this car a convertible ?
    No, and no sun roof either.

You can try moving the sub box up against the rear seat back and integrating a wall (ie baffle) onto the front of the box. If you seal of the trunk from the cabin correctly it will effectively make your cars interior smaller and increase your cabin gain. IE smaller cars have louder bass for the same sub generally. But you have to make sure to make that baffle as solid as you would the walls of your enclosure, if not the trunk will still be somewhat part of the listening space and rob you of that cabin gain. Install a rear deck mdf panel as well that'll solidify the thin rear deck skin and keep the bass in the cabin even more.

Quote Originally Posted by t3sn4f2 View Post
    You can try moving the sub box up against the rear seat back and integrating a wall (ie baffle) onto the front of the box. If you seal of the trunk from the cabin correctly it will effectively make your cars interior smaller and increase your cabin gain. IE smaller cars have louder bass for the same sub generally. But you have to make sure to make that baffle as solid as you would the walls of your enclosure, if not the trunk will still be somewhat part of the listening space and rob you of that cabin gain. Install a rear deck mdf panel as well that'll solidify the thin rear deck skin and keep the bass in the cabin even more.
    Thanks man that sounds super legit. Makes perfect sense.

Real Name
    Alan
    Have you tried aiming the subs another way such as back or up? I know it's weird, but some cars respond differently to different arrangements...plus a little experimentation won't cost you anything but time ;)

The 6X9's in that thing don't suck for stock, I'd think it would be possible to get one to just rip.

Quote Originally Posted by AL9000 View Post
    Have you tried aiming the subs another way such as back or up? I know it's weird, but some cars respond differently to different arrangements...plus a little experimentation won't cost you anything but time ;)
    Yeah exactly, I tried facing them up and a couple other things but there's plenty more things I'm going to try

Quote Originally Posted by Chad
    The 6X9's in that thing don't suck for stock, I'd think it would be possible to get one to just rip.
    Yea they're really nice plus with some good tweaking of the equalization can make such a huge difference. I was driving an 89 Dynasty before this and I had that one sounding really nice too, I used to get a kick out of showing people up in that old beater against their new whips, same thing, 4000 watts of bass in that one too I'm surprised I didn't blow the alternator.

Founding Member
    usually facing back is loudest, 3-6 inches from the tailgate. With as much effort put into keeping the metal from moving around as you care to put in there. Foam is cheap and works well.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    usually facing back is loudest, 3-6 inches from the tailgate. With as much effort put into keeping the metal from moving around as you care to put in there. Foam is cheap and works well.
    I just tried this and it seems to be the best so far, hopefully I don't mess anything up with the foam haha