Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to use space in a workshop corner

Founding Member

how to use space in a workshop corner

Hi guys,

My shop is always getting incremental improvements. Sometimes I think the shop only exists to improve the shop!

Anyways, right now I have a compressor in the corner which works out. No access needed. Well, that will move out to the shed in a few months (when I build the shed!), and I want to make sure I maximize the usefulness of the corner space. Right now there is a 2x2 cabinet in the corner (the compressor is inside it), with shelving and a workbench next to it. That can't stay the same anymore.

What do you guys do with the corners of your shop? Any of you have particularly clever corners that maximize wall-space use and don't waste corner access?

Real Name
    Alan
    What about something like this

Real Name
    Alan
    Or maybe a mobile work table/extension?

Founding Member
    needs access on at least one side to be useful. No different than a shelf in that regard.

What if I want to have workbench space or shelving next to the corner, or integrated into the corner? how to make functional?

Only idea i have no is a cabinet on wheels. One of our members has that, looks very nice. Move in front of corner cabinet, but moves out of the way for access. Not ideal. But works.

But not cheap!

Founding Member
    wow, this shop is pretty close to mine:

no 2 cars though, just one. The compressor is in the corner. On the BACK wall, I have a miter saw on wheels (I dont like it), and on the SIDE wall I have a 6' tall 2x4 warehouse rack for storage.

Maybe replace the whole shebang with a kitchen corner cabinet type deal with shelving above to try to get functional space?

Real Name
    Alan
    Just tossing out ideas...what about a slide-out pegboard storage?

Free space is valuable stuff, I wouldn't try to fill it up just because. Wait for a need to arise.

Founding Member
    agreed. I tell my wife that weekly or twice weekly, she does not believe me. I live by that mantra.

Applied to this situation, it would be like installing shelves or a cabinet then not filling it. THAT is free space. Without storage or facilities installed, it is not FREE space, but DEAD space, and that is a waste.

That's a good reason why you don't need to know what's in my shop or what my shop needs are to help pitch ideas. Because turning dead space to free space is universal.

Real Name
    Alan
    The caveat...dead space doesn't beg for new tools to fill it ;)

Suppose you decide to build a soundproof enclosure for your air compressor...