Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whine only in left door

The thing with this loc(I've found out) is that it seems to come on with 12volt power regardless of audio signal presence or not. I had a power supply that you plug into the wall and i jerry rigged everything up to it-radio and loc-and the loc would come on before the radio was even turned on. But, Im getting sidetracked. The reason I know everything is on when I start the car is that the remote from the loc runs to a relay that sends signal to the eq. I can hear the click and see power at the eq. However, I'm baffled as to why the whine is present ONLY when the radio is off(not the car) and the driver door is open. It DOESNT do this when the radio is on and not from any other door. This is the only install iteration this has happened with. TIA

Real Name
    Alan
    How it's supposed to be wired: The LOC doesn't go on and off with audio signal from the radio, it's supposed to be powered by a switched power source (ignition). Once the engine is running, it then sits there idle waiting for an audio signal from the radio. When it sees an audio signal, it sends out 12v thru the pink wire to tell the amp to come on. It then converts the speaker-level audio from the radio to RCA-level to feed the amp.

How you have it wired: When you turn off the ignition, the LOC no longer sees an audio signal from the radio, so it cuts power to the pink wire. Now remember, the LOC still has power because you're running it off constant 12v. When you open the driver's door, the dome light dimmer module sends power to the dome light, fading it on and off. The LOC is somehow picking up the faint PWM radiation from the dimmer module and interpreting it as an audio signal from the radio. It therefore sends power to the pink wire and wakes up the amp. It then attempts to 'play' the signal that it's receiving via the amp. The interference that it's picking up is faint...so when the radio is on, the audio signal overrides it.

I'm betting that the reason it isn't messing up on the passenger side is because the dome light doesn't fade on and off, it's just a simple quick switch.

The proper fix is to have the LOC go on and off with the ignition.

Alright, that makes sense. Much thanks to you and chad!