Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A-Pillar Planning, Advice Needed

Real Name
    Alan
    Quote Originally Posted by cvjoint View Post
    disconnect that thing! You can simulate an airbag with a resistor. I had to do it for my Recaro seats :P
    That's the dumbest advice that I've ever seen on this site! How is a resistor going to keep my head from hitting the door in a side impact accident? And yes, I've been there.

I must have recommended this speaker at least 50 times in the past few years. it has a very small footprint, good sensitivity and excellent dispersion. you can't cross it at 250hz (not that I would anyway... my 5.25" Kefs are crossed at 350hz) but you can easily get low distortion, high output with a modest 350hz/24dB crossover.
    http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...idrange-4-ohm/

It's called a 4 inch speaker but is closer to 3.5" speakers in OD. And if you're looking to place the tweeter nearby, this will help.
    Your ears: The best tools you have... and they're free, too!

Real Name
    Martin

Real Name
    George
    Quote Originally Posted by AL9000 View Post
    That's the dumbest advice that I've ever seen on this site! How is a resistor going to keep my head from hitting the door in a side impact accident? And yes, I've been there.

How's that? My car doesn't have airbags in the a-pillar. Are you calling everyone without an airbag in the pillar dumb? If you live your life worrying about ways you can die that are statistically not very probable you are wasting it with statistical significance. Big deal, I don't have 20 airbags. People will be happy after airbags and people have been happy before them.
    2001 Honda S2000
    Head: Pioneer P99 + Samsung Galaxy S3
    Amplifiers: 3,000w+ Zeff class G/H power
    4 way: Aurum Cantus AST2560 Air Motion Transformers, BG Neo8-s Planar transducers, Peerless XLS 10" MAC midbass woofers, Tympany LAT700 x2

Real Name
    Javan
    I still want to experiment with setups, so I want to keep the prices down as much as possible. I may try both a 4+tweeter & a dual 3/3.5 setup, but I really want to try the multiple smaller driver option because I could integrate them into the pillars better. I'll still have 6.5's in the doors & will be building them out to get a little more aiming ability from them, so the reduced lower ability of the smaller driver array probably won't be too bad.

My train of thought is as follows; a smaller driver would provide better high freq performance (potential for tweeterless) than a larger driver (which would require a tweeter), but with multiples of the small driver the lower freq performance could be comparable to the single larger driver and reinforce each other up high to improve their high freq performance as well. This would let me run both speakers in series (per side) and treat them as a single driver when tuning.
    I think running a pair with only 1 as a FR & the other bandpass kind of defeats the purpose of an array because you have both playing where they are strong but only one where they could really use the reinforcement.

Quote Originally Posted by AL9000 View Post
    My concern has always been the side-curtain airbag. I've looked all over and can't find a pic of the Element's deployment pattern. The last thing I want in case of an accident is a speaker pod clobbering me.
    Fortunately I don't have the same issue, but you should be fine as long as you keep the pod contained within the lower half of the A pillar & anchor it to the vehicle at the very base (so the top of the pillar cover can peel away for airbag deployment, but still solidly attached to the car at the bottom/dash).

Real Name
    George
    A wideband speaker is a compromised speaker. Two wideband speakers are two compromised speakers. The reinforcement only works for lower frequencies, you have to follow CTC spacing rules and the more drivers you add in an array the tougher the crossovers get. No matter how many tiny cones play the top octaves they won't sound as good as purpose made domes, ribbons or AMTs even if physics would allow for CTC rules to not be binding.

This is also nearfield. You'd want time alignment on every driver or a pillar that slopes opposite.

I encourage you do listen to speakers made entirely out of a line of small cones like the Audience based ones: https://solen.ca/pub/index.php?catal...&s2=1&s3=2&s4=

Very capable full range driver. Still bland compared to units that employ specialized drivers. You can get the low octaves to sound great but never the top end.
    2001 Honda S2000
    4 way: Aurum Cantus AST2560 Air Motion Transformers, BG Neo8-s Planar transducers, Peerless XLS 10" MAC midbass woofers, Tympany LAT700 x2

Real Name
    George
    These are the ones I heard:

It's a great example of what not to do IMO.

Note that smarter designs, like the PE one employs specialized drivers for the top end, very tiny domes, very close together to minimize comb filtering.

The only way what you propose would work is if you took 1/2" domes and made a full range line array with them. How many 1/2" domes does it take to sum up to a 4" cone?
    2001 Honda S2000

Real Name
    Alan
    Quote Originally Posted by cvjoint View Post
    How's that? My car doesn't have airbags in the a-pillar. Are you calling everyone without an airbag in the pillar dumb?
    If you had an older vehicle which only had a lap belt, would you tell a person that a 3-point seat belt is unnecessary? Sure, you could probably wire up your system without using fuses, or remove your emergency brake to mount a speaker. Removing a safety feature is never a good recommendation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiophyle View Post
    Fortunately I don't have the same issue, but you should be fine as long as you keep the pod contained within the lower half of the A pillar & anchor it to the vehicle at the very base (so the top of the pillar cover can peel away for airbag deployment, but still solidly attached to the car at the bottom/dash).
    I guess since a curtain airbag deploys downward, the worst that could happen is the pod hits you in the leg.

Real Name
    Javan
    I don't think the A pillar plastic fly off with quite the gusto you are thinking. The part of the air bag that deploys is along the very thin & flimsy portion of the A pillar plastic much closer to the ceiling. I think the clip in the top of your A pillar (that you must break to remove pillar cover) is there to keep the pillar in place after an airbag deploys.
    You could have a pod secured solidly at the base of the pillar & the plastic could still easily deform to let the airbag deploy without dislodging the pod at all so long as the pod doesn't extend that high.
    youve also got a dash in the way so I highly doubt legs would be at risk. If anything they would be trying to fly across the vehicle, and if tied at the base they would swing down right into the dash

Real Name
    Javan
    Cvjoint, thanks for crapping on my idea. Lol (that is why I'm here though)