Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A-Pillar Planning, Advice Needed

Real Name
    George
    Quote Originally Posted by AL9000 View Post
    If you had an older vehicle which only had a lap belt, would you tell a person that a 3-point seat belt is unnecessary? Sure, you could probably wire up your system without using fuses, or remove your emergency brake to mount a speaker. Removing a safety feature is never a good recommendation.
    I guess since a curtain airbag deploys downward, the worst that could happen is the pod hits you in the leg.
    It is not necessary! The difference is a monetary one. Cheaper to get side impact airbags from factory. The reason why we don't install them in cars that don't have them is simply due to cost of implementation. Someone that never had any is the same as another that had them and took them off. It's the safety that you are used to that makes you jump. You are rationalizing here and being rude.

Any pillar pod, kick pod, sub box, amp rack, and even door speakers depending on the mounting procedure is a safety concern. They can all be projectiles in an accident. A passenger can be a projectile too, a bag of apples.

Now that you made a big deal out of it do you happen to know why I recommended a resistor inline?
    2001 Honda S2000
    Head: Pioneer P99 + Samsung Galaxy S3
    Amplifiers: 3,000w+ Zeff class G/H power
    4 way: Aurum Cantus AST2560 Air Motion Transformers, BG Neo8-s Planar transducers, Peerless XLS 10" MAC midbass woofers, Tympany LAT700 x2

Real Name
    George
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiophyle View Post
    Cvjoint, thanks for crapping on my idea. Lol (that is why I'm here though)
    That's why I'm ... here?! :p Adding a 1/2" dome to a pillar pod that houses a line array of 3"s is really easy to do. Small driver, no bid deal. I think it would be cool to replicate the PE line array, an array of tweeters and an array of woofers. My idea was to use the Airborne long and narrow planars. There just isn't that much width to a pillar...
    2001 Honda S2000
    4 way: Aurum Cantus AST2560 Air Motion Transformers, BG Neo8-s Planar transducers, Peerless XLS 10" MAC midbass woofers, Tympany LAT700 x2

Real Name
    Alan
    Quote Originally Posted by cvjoint View Post
    It is not necessary! The difference is a monetary one. Cheaper to get side impact airbags from factory. The reason why we don't install them in cars that don't have them is simply due to cost of implementation. Someone that never had any is the same as another that had them and took them off.
    My Element came with factory side curtain airbags, and I assumed that Audiophyle's did too. This was why I expressed my concerns in the beginning.

You are rationalizing here and being rude.
    I was at a grocery store a while back standing at the checkout and there was an old lady talking to somebody else in line about how every time she uses her space heater it blows the fuse (old style fuse panel). The guy that she was talking with told her to put a bigger fuse in because the heater was pulling too much current. I couldn't just stand there and say nothing, so I interjected and tried to explain to the lady that the fuse was rated for the wiring and was made to blow just shy of the wires overheating. The guy claimed to be a handyman who had done wiring and I was young and didn't know what I was talking about, blah blah blah. In the end, I convinced the lady to at least call and ask a real electrician before doing anything dangerous.

Would putting a bigger fuse cause her house to burn down? I don't know. Would disabling a factory-installed airbag cause someone injury? I don't know...but I can't just sit here and say nothing.
    Any pillar pod, kick pod, sub box, amp rack, and even door speakers depending on the mounting procedure is a safety concern. They can all be projectiles in an accident. A passenger can be a projectile too, a bag of apples.
    Agreed! That's why we have stuff to keep the projectiles in place...straps, seat belts, airbags, etc.

Now that you made a big deal out of it do you happen to know why I recommended a resistor inline?
    I'm assuming it's so the computer system thinks the airbag is there?

Real Name
    Alan
    Sorry to derail your thread, Javan

Real Name
    Javan
    Quote Originally Posted by AL9000 View Post
    Sorry to derail your thread, Javan
    No worries Alan.

Real Name
    George
    Removing one airbag throws a code. Until that code is erased and the circuit sees an airbag, or something that looks like an airbag, the whole entire system is turned off. The resistor tells the system the side airbags are ok so that in the event of a crash the front impact airbags still deploy. Indirectly it does serve a safety purpose.

I'm pretty sure Javan knows that removing air bags is decreasing safety. There is always a safer car out there, a Volvo, a Hummer H1, etc. I draw the line at front impact airbags and non-collapsible roofs.
    2001 Honda S2000

Real Name
    Steve
    Oh, and BTW- There is a pair of those Audience A3 drivers for sale on the PE forums right now. Very nicely priced too. If I had a use for them I would jump on them immediately.

Real Name
    George
    One of the 3" drivers amazed the heck out of me. Gotta find the brand.

Ok, it's Anthony Gallo:

I'd try to find that raw driver. It was really beefy.
    2001 Honda S2000

^ I heard a car with then and was not at all impressed (a lot of factors here, I know). Also talked with a friend of mine who used then and said he just was never satisfied with them in home or car.
    Your ears: The best tools you have... and they're free, too!

Real Name
    George
    so they sell the raw drivers? where can I look?
    2001 Honda S2000