Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I being subliminated?

Real Name
    John

Am I being subliminated?

So there's this other forum and it has a number of posts by people singing the praises of a rather expensive 12" sub. To read these posts, you'd think one of these will make an Ultimo sound like a Boss in comparison. Subliminal advertising masked as information or, true SQ is for the wealthy only?

Real Name
    Alan
    Some people call those 'forum boners'.

Often times you get what you pay for, but there is a point of diminishing returns. What sub are they talking about?

Real Name
    Kelvin
    Dynaudio or Illusion Audio?

Kelvin

I believe Kelvin it is the Dynaudio Esotar 1200. I think it is a DIYMA thread.

Real Name
    Kelvin
    When I talk and defend about Focal, "they" say I have no taste...
    But God forbid when you talk down on Dynaudio or Linear Power - then you're just a naysayer.

Kelvin

Kelvin, I will always be a Focal fan. They are outstanding products for the SQ enthusiast.

Here here. Boo at the (any) brand snobs.
    Nick
    Virtus probata florescit: reversio

I tend to agree with n_olympios, my gear is not above average by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't find myself favoring one brand over the other to the exclusion of others. It's a rather closed-minded frame of mind to engage in. I just find that some brands tend to outperform others, but to each their own.

Founding Member
    Not brand bashing here, but a good majority of the Focal line is basic medicore stuff for what you were paying for. Some of their amps were single layer boards, basic design, lots of their drivers use a plastic basket made to look expensive. The only "good" stuff is outrageously priced, but then has a ridiculously oversized crossover that doesn't belong anywhere near a car.

What I find most people doing is they select a brand/product they WANT to use, vs what they might actually NEED and try to make it work. I tend to define my needs on any product (clothes, electronics, food, etc) and buy what fits the constraints. You can find this condition littered throughout forums. A good example recently was people buying up Anarchy's recently only to find they don't fit in the intended application (too deep). Only reason to consider brand as some constraint is if they are reputable so you don't feel hosed from buying garbage or cheated by some snake, but this track record can easily change year to year.

Real Name
    Kelvin
    Quote Originally Posted by durwood View Post
    Not brand bashing here, but a good majority of the Focal line is basic medicore stuff for what you were paying for. Some of their amps were single layer boards, basic design, lots of their drivers use a plastic basket made to look expensive. The only "good" stuff is outrageously priced, but then has a ridiculously oversized crossover that doesn't belong anywhere near a car.

What I find most people doing is they select a brand/product they WANT to use, vs what they might actually NEED and try to make it work. I tend to define my needs on any product (clothes, electronics, food, etc) and buy what fits the constraints. You can find this condition littered throughout forums. A good example recently was people buying up Anarchy's recently only to find they don't fit in the intended application (too deep). Only reason to consider brand as some constraint is if they are reputable so you don't feel hosed from buying garbage or cheated by some snake, but this track record can easily change year to year.
    Understand your feeling about the "outrageously priced" for the good stuffs - but that is all ORCA's fault...
    My friend used to be Focal's only distributor in Tahiti... He told me that when he negotiated with Focal, he got export distributor prices, a 25% of discount and on top of that he got another 10% discount (equals to MORE than 35%).
    We are getting rapped by import taxes here in Tahiti because we pay taxes for the item PLUS the shipping charges
    And even with the import taxes and having to ship items across the planet (France to Tahiti = about 11,250 miles) - my friend managed to sell items @ the exact same price as in France...

I can buy myself a set of Utopia Be Kit N7 with the Crossblock for about $2,635 MSRP when it's being sold $5,999.99 MSRP in the States... That's almost a 50% discount :o
    And I'm sure Orca imports much more than us Tahitians

I'm a bit more mature with my purchases too - I'm not buying stuffs like I used to be. I'm now buying stuffs I know I'm gonna keep and won't have or won't feel the need to change.

Kelvin