Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: CSS EL166 - new low-cost 6.5" midwoofer

Founding Member

CSS EL166 - new low-cost 6.5" midwoofer

CSS has an interesting new low-priced midwoofer.

http://www.creativesound.ca/pdf/EL166-data-100610.pdf

What really makes it notable is that it's an actual 6.5, not a 7. Also, the rising on-axis FR makes it an interesting choice for low-in-door use. (Rising on-axis response = flatter off-axis response.)

Also, low Le and high xmax for the size/price (5.5mm).

Might be worth a look, especially for anyone who has stock doors who can't fit a 7" woofer without cutting something.

Well then, that's a nifty driver. makes me think a bit.

Real Name
    Adam
    Add this one to the potential testing pool as well? Definitely low cost.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Real Name
    Adam
    These drivers look like they are going to be one of our very first tests. Bob at CSS offered to let us try a pair out and perform testing on them. They should be en route to Erin shortly.

It may take a little while to get everything situated and make sure the data is solid (being right is more important than being fast), but the good news is we're moving forward and CSS was generous in making the trial offer with no preconditions aside from my offering to include a link in the article.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Yep. Guys, it's gonna take me at least a few weeks until I'm able to start testing. I've talked with Adam about it and we've kind of mapped out a plan of sorts.
    With my new build, and my goal to get as prepared for MECA finals in mid-October as I can be, I'm very busy with my car. On top of that, the 10 hour days at work don't leave me any real free time. But, I plan to at least have run a couple tests and have them discussed in private, hopefully having some graphs posted in approximately a month.

Thanks to you, Adam, for getting the ball rolling on this.
    Also, big thanks to Nyugen for letting me use his gear to test with. Without him, we wouldn't be doing this at all.
    Last edited by ErinH; 09-15-2010 at 09:52 PM.

Sounds great! Thanks Adam, Erin.

Founding Member
    Props to CSS, and thanks to everyone involved.

Sweet! I'm totally excited that this will be the first one.

This shit's mad fantastical yo!

The price is right on them, but I don't think they'd hang with two IB 15's.

Real Name
    Adam
    Erin, be on the lookout for the package. Bob also included a pair of the ERT 26 tweeters ($13). Some definite high value potential there.

I may just buy all of these drivers when we're done to make some budget bookshelves as my first SoundEasy project.