Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2006 Toyota Prius with JBL

2006 Toyota Prius with JBL

The JBL system amplifier has a preamp built in which is controlled via databus.

The signal from the OE source unit to the JBL amplifier is flat and full-range and balanced - BUT the signal voltage does NOT vary with volume setting. The volume control affects the preamp in the amplifier.

There is also only L and R present out of the HU. The F and R fade, as well as the volume, is executed within the amplifier.

So there are two possible approaches.

For maximum sound quality, run the OE source unit's balanced signal into a balanced-input device with a volume control, such as a Zapco SLB-U or a bitone or a MS-8. This means the OE volume controls no longer work - neither the steering wheel buttons nor the volume knob on the radio.

The 3x3 Matrix for this approach is Balanced, Flat, Full-range (requires volume control).

To retain the OE volume control, you must use the outputs of the JBL amplifier.

The amplifier has 6 channels. The rear door channels are EQ'd but full-range.

There are four channels for the front - two channels for the F door woofers, which are EQ'd with a fixed curve and only play up to about 800, and two more channels for the high-range speakers and tweeters. So you're going to need to sum the hi and lo-pass channels. The MS-8 would be my preferred path as of this writing.

I've done it with an Audio Control LC6 feeding a DC amplifier, and there was hiss I could not get out. I've had other reports of hiss with other LOC methods. I think that the hiss is in the OEM amp, and that's why I mentioned two means of interface.

Low-pass channel response

High-pass channel response

Real Name
    Adam
    Have you seen this type of volume control configuration in other vehicles? Is the voltage out of the head unit rather high?
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

that's a sweet rta you've got there.
    any specifics?

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinH View Post
    that's a sweet rta you've got there.
    any specifics?
    looks similar to this one http://www.nti-audio.com/Home/Produc...0/Default.aspx

edit: nine hundred $ http://mixonline.com/gear/reviews/au..._acoustilyzer/ (@ the end of the article)
    Last edited by ABX; 09-15-2010 at 05:16 PM.

I researched that little gem when I saw it in the last build VP did... I had a heartattack when I saw the price.

Founding Member
    Ditto. And now every time I see their ad in Voice Coil I just get sad.

This seems the same as most JBL systems in Toyotas to date. The voltage wasn't very high, no, nothing memorable, didn't seem like it was really speaker level like the Chrysler Boston Acoustics 300 or a BMW DSP car.

The BMW DSP cars do a similar fixed-output deal, but you can "fool" the HU into switching to non-DSP mode and restoring "normal" preamp function. Ditto that Chrysler. I was bummed that the Toyota HU wouldn't do that, but unlike the Germans, the Japanese use system-specific HUs. The Germans tend to allow any HU to work with any system. BMW iDrive, for example, can work with MOST fiber optic outs, or lower-voltage BTL "balanced", or higher-voltage speaker-level BTL output.

Oh, and the price is horrible, and then they came out with a new and sexier looking one too, so mine looks old and busted.

Quote Originally Posted by imjustjason View Post
    I researched that little gem when I saw it in the last build VP did... I had a heartattack when I saw the price.
    but if you do it for a living you just can't go wrong. I can't remember who makes the "audio toolbox" that's a cool little goober too.