Thread: Background docs on BMW 1-series E82, 3-series E9x systems

Background docs on BMW 1-series E82, 3-series E9x systems

Here are some docs that explain how to determine the OEM system in a BMW E82 1-series (US spec) or in a 3-series E90 sedan/E91 wagon/E92 coupe/E93 vert (also US spec).

Depending on the car, you have:

- Speaker-level, full-range, fixed EQ

- Balanced flat full-range

- High-power speaker-level, partial-range, fixed EQ

So it behooves you to do some figgerin'

Don't apply this information directly to the E60 5-series. The non-Logic 7 system in the E60 is a bastard hybrid PITA - deck power, high-passed and heavily EQd, to F and R, and external amplifier on the underseats. The Logic 7 system, however, matches these descriptions.

If you want to look at a list of E-codes, I recommend this Wikipedia article. Most lists on vendor websites contain errors or do not address the staggered introductions of coupes the year after sedans, etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Adam
    Thank you for this. I was hoping to see some info on E90s and i didn't have to wait long.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Testing a new tweeter as soon as I have time... was getting them into the mounts yesterday, now I have to swap the mounts and change the output levels. Might have a cool suggestion for you.

And I hope to get some info on recoding too...you can change a HU to be coded for "HiFi", eliminating the EQ and bypassing the optical MOST output. 5V balanced flat full-range preamp out? Certainly!

Awesome stuff, thanks!

** goes to look at used prices for 2006 330's **

Founding Member
    great info!

just a note that might not be applicable to american models: on E81 late european models BMW only mounts an underseat speaker on the driver's side.

Founding Member
    VP, have you ever guessed the characteristics of the underseat speakers enclosures?. not the plastic one, but the part that is behind the chassis hole. should we consider it sealed? which volume? infinite?.
    Last edited by ABX; 09-23-2010 at 08:14 AM.