Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing/expanding cvjoint's CarPC

Quote Originally Posted by durwood View Post
    IIRC, the volume attenuation was improved in WIN7 floating point vs fixed point, but I still have my doubts the volume attenuation limitations in XP was really audible. I think it is a WAY overblown ghost hunt. If the ASIO drivers for a card don't function in 7, well thats an obvious disadvantage to using VST plugins.
    I'm thinking so to. Unfortunately the only way to test it under heavy attinuation is by ear.

I still use the card, but under xp. My friend also has the same card and we tried numerous times to install it under windows 7. Everytime we had no success as far as the routing/directwire feature working.

We even tried something like this
    AUDIOTRAK - User Community

I tried to convince him not to bother with 7, but at least we tried. So I see no reason to break something that works.

Why is the 1010lt not supported in CF? I don't understand why a front end does not work with it.
    Not supporting the card would mean that the CF volume and mute buttons don't control the card dsp software mixer directly. Which could be very handy for things like eliminating zipper noise and having soft muting which are functions that those types of soundcards bring. My emu worked great with CF but it's only two channels out.

Founding Member
    No zipper noise with the audiotrak card, only poor volume resolution at the bottom end of the scale and having to actually mute it because at zero, it's not really zero. Goofy thing they never fixed in the win xp driver. WAVE vol adjustment instead of Master also fixes the resolution bug/design feature/flaw.

OK, thanks to Durwood's threads on MP3car and this thread

Setting up your carpc using the M-Audio 1010LT - MP3Car.com

I've got CF playing a CD through the 1010LT.

I've followed the setup in the thread... but the last parts are only for XP, I don't know but it seems that I've got 7 set up the same way.

I've got VAC installed but I'm not using it.

I saved the Console file to a USB stick from the previous XP install. I can open that install with Console in the 7 install and I see the identical plugin configuration I saw before - two channels in, going to EQ and TA plugins, then going to the 8 channels of output.

But I still have only CH 1/2 out.

I do have tons of output - much higher than my iPod headphone jack - and without any zipper noise or audible degradation (running the RCA outs into a home audio system for reference). So the SQ issue seems a non-issue now.

I'm confident that my ignorance is the problem in getting Console and 7 configured (and VAC if needed - I installed it before realizing that it seemed to be for cards that don't have the 1010LT's routing capabilities?)

Anybody feel like logging in remotely some time and looking at the setup? I've installed Team Viewer so if you want to look at it, we can arrange a time, and you need the app from TeamViewer Download

I'm ready to be really appreciative
    "Of course, the laws of science contain no matter and have no energy either and therefore do not exist except in people's minds. It's best to be completely scientific about the whole thing and refuse to believe in either ghosts or the laws of science. That way you're safe. That doesn't leave you very much to believe in, but that's scientific too."

Wish I could help but I've never experimented with that type of processing from a pc, so i havn't bothered to learn console or those types of softwares yet.

Founding Member
    Can you list out the steps that you performed? It sounds like you have not interrupted the software to hardware connection in the m-audio driver control panel. Without console running, do you get audio output? If yes, then the problem is still in the m-audio control panel settings.

If you list out the steps you did, maybe we can find the missing step. Otherwise, maybe we can arrange remote operation later this week in the evening. I think there is a 3hr time difference between us because I am currently on the east coast and you are on the west. Is this during your work time or free time?
    Last edited by durwood; 12-05-2010 at 07:43 PM.

I went to open M-Audio Control Panel to verify the settings, and I couldn't get it to open. I restarted and while I can see the icon in the tray, I can't ever see the Panel itself. I could before - I remmeber going in and making the changes recommended in the setup thread I linked to - but now I can't, and I don't know why. I tried to repair the driver, that didn't help.

After messing with this a few minutes, I tried restarting, and the PC would never get far enough to even show the Intel screen on the monitor. It went into a loop where it would turn on and then stop and shut off (I could hear a soft pop over the home stereo system as it turned on, and then off, and then on). I finally killed power, reconnected, same problem. I then killed power, pulled the 256Gb HD, and reinstalled the 30Gb HD. Booted in XP just fine!

So I swapped the HD back, and it booted in 7 just fine. Still no M-Audio Control Panel visible though.

At that point I shut it down and went grocery shopping.

Tomorrow I will post whatever I can get.
    "Of course, the laws of science contain no matter and have no energy either and therefore do not exist except in people's minds. It's best to be completely scientific about the whole thing and refuse to believe in either ghosts or the laws of science. That way you're safe. That doesn't leave you very much to believe in, but that's scientific too."

The M-Audio CP not appearing seems to be a glitch with Win7 - found the fix here:

M Audio Control Panel won't show

That did it. M-Audio Control Panel now appears (curiously, with default settings).

OK, my settings:

M-Audio CP:
    Mixer tab, SW 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 all muted. Under this tab, the Master channels are showing signal, and the SPIDF Rtn is showing signal. I have those sliders set to 50% or now.

Input tab, nothing muted, all maxed, no signal seen.

Output tab, all maxed, no signal seen except SPDIF out. All channels set to "SW Rtn".

If I change Ch 1/2 to "Mixer", I get signal in it. But I can't get signal on the others - 3/4, 5/6, and 7/8 don't offer the Mixer input option, and I can't get signal on them if I slave them all to 1/2 either.

CF 3.x:

It's my understanding that CF acts as the music player, rather than WinAmp or WMP.

If I go to Settings>Advanced>AudioVideo, scroll to Music Sound Device, and select 1010LT Multichannel, I get sound on 1/2 only. If I select 1010LT SPDIF, I get no sound. If I select 1010LT 1/2, I get a hotter signal on 1/2 than I do with Multichannel.

Console

Preferences: Driver, ASIO. Device, M-Audio ASIO. Channel config, only 11/12 in enabled for now, and only 1-8 out enabled.

Here is the opened file from the original install:

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
    Output tab, all maxed, no signal seen except SPDIF out. All channels set to "SW Rtn".

If I change Ch 1/2 to "Mixer", I get signal in it. But I can't get signal on the others - 3/4, 5/6, and 7/8 don't offer the Mixer input option, and I can't get signal on them if I slave them all to 1/2 either.

CF 3.x:

It's my understanding that CF acts as the music player, rather than WinAmp or WMP.

If I go to Settings>Advanced>AudioVideo, scroll to Music Sound Device, and select 1010LT Multichannel, I get sound on 1/2 only. If I select 1010LT SPDIF, I get no sound. If I select 1010LT 1/2, I get a hotter signal on 1/2 than I do with Multichannel.
    I think you forgot the step to mute spdif out. I can tell in your picture it is still set to "mixer". See this step.

"On the output tab, set SPDIF out to SPDIF In. This eliminates any chance of M-Audios "Mixer" or Windows to feed any extra info into the SPDIF channel. It doesn't matter if you use SPDIF in or SPDIF in INV as we're just using internal routing to mute the SPDIF channel"

Then set CF to output sound on spdif. In Console, connect lines from the in to the out directly and test with headphones for each channel and know which channel is which or leave it as is in your picture.

Just above the connecting area/workspace there is a "play" section. Make sure that the Power button is pressed and all the plugin lights (upper left corner of each plugin) will go from orange to a yellowish color to indicate they are active. You can turn off individual plugins by pressing on that light.

Once you are sure it is working, go to town with your VST plugins. Verify crossover channels with headphones before connecting to an amp with speakers. You don't want to accidentally send lows to tweeters.

In Console, you might want to activate Analog IN 1 + 2 in the ASIO channel setting panel and you can run a line input to those channels for the Andrea mic thing. Those channels should show up on the input side and you can run it in parallel through the same series on plugins.
    Last edited by durwood; 12-07-2010 at 02:01 PM.

I think you forgot the step to mute spdif out. I can tell in your picture it is still set to "mixer". See this step.

"On the output tab, set SPDIF out to SPDIF In. This eliminates any chance of M-Audios "Mixer" or Windows to feed any extra info into the SPDIF channel. It doesn't matter if you use SPDIF in or SPDIF in INV as we're just using internal routing to mute the SPDIF channel"
    Thanks. Good catch - I did this initially, but I missed it when I had to do the CP settings over again after the "disappearing CP" fix. It's now done:

CF output set to SPIDIF.

I am playing a pink noise CD and running the RCA out of the 1010LT CH 1 into my NTI RTA so I can tell if the signal is getting crossed over or not - so I don't blow anything up I can connect other outputs as needed but Ch1 is the one I test with per usual.

Used Console Power and Play buttons:

I figure there's a way to get that On/Play state to be the auto-run state, but I'll worry about it later.

In this state, CF set to SPDIF, Console as above, M-Audio CP as above, still no output. (Tested setting CF to Multichannel and to 1/2 just to check test setup - all OK).

One thing that bothers me: When I click on the plugins, I can get in and "see" the settings, just as if the plugins are actually present and set. However, I *assume* that there is a process of taking the single downloaded plugin, saving as another filename, and then configuring it? I haven't done any of those things, and I don't know how much simply opening the file from the initial install "brings" the configured plugins over?

I tried to attach the Console file I open from the initial install to this post. The Flash uploader doesn't "see" the file at all, the Basic uploader sees it and tried to upload it, and then crashes and throws a incorrect file message (?)

So, takeaway, made those changes (again) and still no output. Thanks, I suspect it's really close, but argh! :/