Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Installing/expanding cvjoint's CarPC

Founding Member
    ok I missed this before too on your screenshots.

On the mixer tab,

spdif In= should be set at 0dB or maxed out. Currently you show it turned all the way down.

scroll over to the far right

spdif rtn=make sure it is NOT muted.

You didn't show spdif rtn in your screenshot so I don't know if it was muted or not, but with spdif in set to lowest setting I wouldn't expect to see any signal. My understanding is that these two settings complete the spdif internal loopback without a cable. This is why you select spdif out in the player. Signal goes like this for this card:

Player -> spdif out -> spdif rtn -> spdif in -> monitor mixer -> console -> sw rtn analog channels -> hw analog outs

Hopefully that is it.

You don't need to press the play button in console, only the power button needs to be turned on. THe power button can be glitchy I think. Sometimes it will be on when launching a config file, other times it will be off. I hibernate and don't have this problem, but I think full restarts it is touch and go, a bug of sorts.
    Last edited by durwood; 12-07-2010 at 07:19 PM.

I saw that too, and I had since gone ahead and turned everything to max until I got signal though.

So it stopped working again, and I don't know exactly why, I had plugged in the PowerMate and was looking at its settings. I currently have it working - but I got it working with WMP rather than CF. Then I closed WMP and opened CF and it's working, but I don't know why. But volume works and the PM works at volume and all that.

They are both (Cf and WMP) set to M-Audio SPDIF.

I think that when I started the CD playing before, an instance of WMP opened in the background, and that was what why it started working before. But the volume control in CF was working, so maybe I'm mistaken . I did see an instance of WMP open when I started closing windows, don't know how long it had been open.

So I'm not certain at all why it's working, and that always makes me paranoid, but at least I know that the settings I have are the ones that work. Thanks, durwood. Appreciated.
    "Of course, the laws of science contain no matter and have no energy either and therefore do not exist except in people's minds. It's best to be completely scientific about the whole thing and refuse to believe in either ghosts or the laws of science. That way you're safe. That doesn't leave you very much to believe in, but that's scientific too."

Founding Member
    I'm glad we got it resolved this way vs doing it directly for you. It helps others learn and at the same time and if it ever stops functioning you will know what to check..hopefully.

Now if I could talk someone into using multiple 1010lt's together to see if 16-32 channels show up in Console my curiosity would be quenched and car audio processors could only dream of such a thing at such a bargain.
    Last edited by durwood; 12-07-2010 at 09:56 PM.

Oh, I wish I felt that something was resolved and I knew how to fish. Right now I feel like one flopped into the boat.

I still don't know why it started working when it did, why it stopped again when it did, and why it started again when it did. I'm going to try putting some music files into the CF library and see if I can eliminate the tussle between WMP and CF over who gets to play an inserted WAV CD. But now that I've seen it work SOMETIMES, I know that I can put everything back together and start making a rack and wiring loom.

Thanks again, and more info as it appears on this and other stations.
    "Of course, the laws of science contain no matter and have no energy either and therefore do not exist except in people's minds. It's best to be completely scientific about the whole thing and refuse to believe in either ghosts or the laws of science. That way you're safe. That doesn't leave you very much to believe in, but that's scientific too."

Founding Member
    Well it's hard to tell from your posts what was running when, but I can tell you right now, from what I have read, ASIO only allows one program at a time to access the card. So in other words, if CF is active and WMP is active, then one of them is going to have to stand in line to gain access to the hardware. That is the point of ASIO, to bypass the windows mixer and gain VIP access to the hardware.

Isn't CF built around WMP or uses WMP for audio playback? Does it launch and hide wmp in the background?
    Last edited by durwood; 12-08-2010 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by durwood View Post
    Well it's hard to tell from your posts what was running when, but I can tell you right now, from what I have read, ASIO only allows one program at a time to access the card. So in other words, if CF is active and WMP is active, then one of them is going to have to stand in line to gain access to the hardware. That is the point of ASIO, to bypass the windows mixer and gain VIP access to the hardware.

Isn't CF built around WMP or uses WMP for audio playback? Does it launch and hide wmp in the background?
    Yup, I can't record an ASIO input stream on Sonar while I'm playing one in Foobar. I can route them just fine on the soundcard mixer but there is no audio coming into the recording app.

IIRC Centrafuse uses DirectX and Streetdeck is the one that uses WMP.

Does this exclusion affect routing mike audio for BT handsfree/voice control? I would think that as long as this is routed to CF, and CF is THE app that's doing music playback as well, that it would not be a problem.

Update - at the last minute, CF started hanging halfway through its opening process. Google "Centrafuse hang" and you get a LOT of hits.

For now have Console (which crashes with each config file load - have to close and then open with a new file), MItch's XM Demo SW, the M-Audio Control Panel, and WMP and VLC as the media players. Optical disc drive works, now that we are giving it 5VDC regulated rather than USB power.

Griffin Powermate looks unsupported for WIndows 7 (!)

I like the Electri-Q plug ins - I would like them more on a BIG screen. We ran a DVI in the trunk to help with tuning and SW installations, that 7" QVGA ain't gonna hack it.

Thanks to all. Looks like the user is going to look at the open source alternatives to CF.

I was following this thread, but was too lazy to register. Finally made it over here. I use 1010LT + console on Win7. I could not choose the front end for some time, I liked Centrafuse, cause it looks fancy, but it didn't want to control the volume. I accidentally stumbled upon the review of this: Thepot Store @mp3car a couple of weeks ago.
    I must say I'm pretty impressed so far. My requirements are very basic, I needed nice frontend + volume control for music playback only. So far looks good. Give it a try. It costs $39, but as of right now I don't have an issue with buying this piece of software, because it looks like the guys deserve it (mind you I haven't bought a piece of software, except one for taxes, in years - I'm that happy since it gives me what I need). It might not be perfect, I'll have to investigate more, but looks workable so far.
    And no, Road/Ride runner is not in my taste. It's a clusterfuck of a software, and I don't feel like figuring out the configurations and tweaks for it (I'm a software developer, but I don't feel like torturng my mind with RR after I've done full day of development at work).

Founding Member
    All the front ends start out the same, someone wants a GUI tailored to their needs. Then along comes more things that get added to make it work for other features. Other people want more stuff. Next thing you know it has too many features. So you jump ship to another program and repeat the same process and wait for the features you want added. Honestly I prefer to start with one program and stick with it if it does what I need even if it's bloated. Ride Runner has a setup screen but without all the fancy apple bubbly icons and it will work pretty good without a ton of setup over the defaults. Just sayin... If that one works for you and you like it, rock it.
    Last edited by durwood; 02-01-2011 at 07:26 PM.