Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Automation and Control

Home Automation and Control

General thread here, just for us to stick random things meeting the title's name.

I'll start:
    Creston iPad automation remote/control add-on:
    Crestron iPanel controller for iPad does twice as much for half the price -- Engadget

When I push a button in my car, my garage door opens and closes.

When I push another it turns on the entry lighting inside.

Real Name
    Adam
    Gizmodo has a brief article on the topic @ Home Automation! What You Need to Know to Not Be Dumb
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Founding Member
    I'm more interested in the whys than the hows. I love the concept of home automation, and I have SO MANY ideas on how to make it work it is unbelievable.

Then I sit down to plan how I'll build it, and start thinking about what I want my home automation to DO.

Then I totally blank out. What's the point? What benefits does it have to me? And I really struggle with that one. Lights are on switches, the TV is remote control, computers are all laptops, it all seems pretty remote controlled already. And yet I continually have this desire to build some home automation for the sake of building it, because the concept is just too cool.

But till the "why" is answered, I'm stuck. So more to the point, what do YOU guys what your home automation to do? WHat do you plan on controlling, with what devices, and how do you plan on using them?

Real Name
    Adam
    I'm with you there. I look at it and think it's very cool, but I can never seem to find a "need" or really even a strong "want".

Among the benefits I can see is control when away from home for theft deterrence. It would be cool to be able to turn on different lights on different nights around the house when out of town. I'd also like to be able to view a couple camera feeds when away.

Both are obviously security issues and not really broad home automation, and thus are easily handled by some less complex systems.

Now I know a guy in Ohio who has a home automation system where he can (among many other things) connect while in his helicopter and issue a command to have the helipad extend out over the swimming pool from it's retracted position so he can have his pilot land and drop him off. He then hits a button on the way into the house to retract the pad again. Pretty cool, though I don't expect I'll be facing that particular circumstance in this lifetime.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

sumbitch needs to buy moar land

Founding Member
    Here's a quick and dirty suggestion for a diy home automation project. ....HVAC control....

It can be as simple as using a network capable thermostat, or as involved as servo dampers for individual room control.

My home for example has three floors, with all the bedrooms on the top level. So why do I heat the entire house at night during the winter?..., or cool the basement during the summer?

The solution is to monitor each floor's temp, compare that to the time of day, and direct the efforts of your HVAC system to the areas you like. Sure there are multi-zoned HVAC systems readily available, but none I've seen work on a room by room basis. Hell I've even considered using a damper on the cool air return, so I can choose to recirculate the warm air to the basement or cool air to the top floor, and just run the HVAC blower.

Founding Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinH View Post
    General thread here, just for us to stick random things meeting the title's name.

I'll start:
    Creston iPad automation remote/control add-on:
    Crestron iPanel controller for iPad does twice as much for half the price -- Engadget
    Except for some notes here! Ipads and Iphones in the world of crestron, are a pain in the ass! The program resides on the processor, not the panel! this takes up program space, and limits how many apple panels can be used. They also can not display like any crestron panel and X-Panel, so vtproE files written for crestron panels have to be heavily modified to run on MAC or Iphone/IPAD. They are still very limited. as for home control with MAC, Savant is the way to go!

Real Name
    Adam
    Just finished getting several z-wave devices set up in my new house. 4 light switches and a receptacle. They are connected to our ADT pulse security system which allows remote access via the web or iOS devices. It's a pretty cool setup. The pulse interface allows you to program either schedules for actions or you can make them event based using the sensor around the house and the condition of the alarm system.

I think I'm going to set it up such than when the garage door opens with the alarm armed it turns on the main lights in the kitchen, hallway, entry, and great room. Outdoor lights will probably just be scheduled (with a random +/- 15 minute offset window from the programmed time).

I see us getting the most use out of the iOS and handheld remote functions. Group and scene lighting is pretty handy.

I could see this all getting out of hand pretty easily.

Founding Member
    how much is a z-wave device?