Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home Automation and Control

Real Name
    Adam
    Seems like most are between $25 and $50.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

This z-wave stuff is cool. I wonder if this gateway could communicate between the iRule remote app and one of the z-wave serial interfaces? Could control lighting, including macros, all from the same page on an iDevice.
    STI<>GTO

Founding Member
    wow, so cheap. I was expecting a cost far higher than $25 a pop. It would be hard to compete with that on a custom basis without taking the home wiring out of code.

Real Name
    Adam
    Yeah, it's not terribly expensive if you use the GE devices. Especially when you consider that each device is not only a relay switch, but also a repeater for the z-wave mesh network. I'll take some screenshots of my interfaces later today.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Real Name
    Alan
    Where did you get your devices?

Real Name
    Adam
    Amazon

Christ - I've spent several hours pouring over the information on remotes and automation at AVS and the various online sales outlets. My brain is officially melted. All I want to do is turn a couple lights on and off with the iRule app. Appears to be much easier said than done...
    STI<>GTO

Founding Member
    That's the #1 reason I can't jump into this. I'm not carrying around another device for control and the iPhone is the only small device on the market that has staying power beyond a 2 year phone contract. (aka has support). I can't tell you how much cat5 would be meshed under my house right now if I did do the iphone thing...

Real Name
    Adam
    Here are some of my ADT screens:

Via web portal.

This is the web interface via which you add z-wave devices.

Via iPhone