Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NHMC and Duct Seal Heat-Resistance Trial - Experimental Design Help

gyroscopes and infrared FoxForce's Avatar
    If you really want to get scientific, then you need to talk about the ingredients in the products. Not all NHMC is created the same, therefore it will not all have equal performances in heat. We should be referring to the type of clay, not just just clay in general.

IIRC Yaley is an oil based clay mainly used by arts and crafts people for setting molds. That's originally where I bought mine when I put it in my car years ago. There's been lots of heat deviation and no problems with adhesion or melting.

There are clays made with wax and others with strictly synthetic polymers. This will obviously affect their durability. Alumilite will go till 265*F IIRC according to the manufacturer. I've tested others that claim 135* F and they were mush in the oven not too far over that.

while i was at lowes earlier, i found some plumbers puddy. this stuff isnt supposed to harden, crack, rot or anything. im not sure on the temperature handling though. i picked up a 5lb tub for just over $5, thought id give it a try. im actually on the phone with them now to figure out the temp rating. the first woman says a flash temp of 650F, but that seems weird. and that gonna be different in comparison to the long term. anyway, from 5mins of research ive found this site that maybe someone here can understand. 31166 OATEY PLUMBER'S PUTTY i notice it said temperature code "4" and idk what that is either.

IIRC, the flash temerature is what it will ignite at.

edit: (from yuckipedia)
    Quote Originally Posted by wiki
    The flash point of a volatile liquid is the lowest temperature at which it can vaporize to form an ignitable mixture in air. Measuring a liquid's flash point requires an ignition source. At the flash point, the vapor may cease to burn when the source of ignition is removed.

Founding Member
    Thanks for all the hard work guys, this is the information I have been looking for. Looking for a duct seal for the current project, as the last time I used NHMC produced incredibly poor results. Never send a craft to do a hardware store's job I guess. That G-B stuff should be easy to get my hands on.