Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iAudioInterface, professional-grade audio measurement for iPod touch and iPhone

Founding Member

iAudioInterface, professional-grade audio measurement for iPod touch and iPhone

people reading this thread from VP Electricity were interested in his portable audio mesurement device (an Acoustilyzer), but were scared at the price ($900). so I posted there a cheaper alternative: iAudioInterface.

Audio Test & Measurement like a calibrated SPL Meter, both analog and digital, an SPL LEQ graph, an RTA, FFT Analysis, Impulse Response, and coming in 2010: Smaart Mobile.

Line Input Tests, including Level & Frequency Measurement, a dual-channel Audio Scope, a VU / Peak Meter, and THD+n Measurement.

Speaker Tests, like Speaker Polarity, Speaker Distortion, an Impedance Meter and an Impedance Sweep.

Utilities include our Generator, Mic Monitor, the ability to transfer files to PC / Mac, an Audio Calculator, and comprehensive Setup & Calibration.
    if you have an iPod touch or iPhone2G/3G/3GS you'll have to spend "only" $250 for it with the base apps. if you don't have one you can buy a 2nd hand iPod touch and stay below $400 for the complete pack, which is less than half the price of the Acoustilyzer.

specs: iAudioInterface Specifications | Andrew Smith

tech details: iAudioInterface Technical Details | Andrew Smith

user guide (PDF): http://www.studiosixdigital.com/iaud...ser_guide_.pdf

list of available apps AudioTools | Andrew Smith

Founding Member
    of course you can use the apps with other mics (or the iPhone internal one, though the 2G ones are bitrate limited). I've tried to do some RTA with a Shure Shure MPA-3C:

I will also try if they work with a Denon Audyssey mic (on its way from HK to my home):

sorry but can't make a review yet, because I'm still learning about this stuff.

Real Name
    Adam
    Pretty cool. This might be a good way to use the two first gen iPhones I have laying around, or maybe a reason to sell those to people looking to use this program.

I'm downloading the Audio Tools package right now and I'll test it out with my Audyssey mic and post some screen shots.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Founding Member
    that test with the Audyssey would be nice

┐could you to tell us how it compares to a calibrated mic? (or versus PC measurements taken with the Audyssey).

Real Name
    Adam
    Well I can't get the Audyssey mic to work on the iPhone 4, but the internal mic doesn't seem too bad. I'll do a test with my calibrated mic later today.

Some screen shots below using 3 of the base programs and measuring my computer speakers.

1khz tone:

500hz tone:

I'm currently using the little full range speakers on top of the B&Ws.

You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

A little off-topic, but what are the cute little widebanders and how do you like them vs the two ways for near-field?

they get a lot of positive reviews from dudes who set up live rigs. If you search, you'll find them.

They offer one-off apps, too, so you don't have to buy everything they have.
    http://www.studiosixdigital.com/products_2.html

I use their SPL app. It's pretty sweet. Had to order a little $12 microphone add-on to get it to work, but it was worth it.
    Jorge bought their RTA app and IIRC he likes it.
    I wonder/wish you could take averages with it. I doubt it, but it would be pretty cool if you could.
    Edit: Well, apparently you can do this with the FFT app.:
    http://www.studiosixdigital.com/fft_or_rta.html
    Last edited by ErinH; 09-18-2010 at 10:28 AM.
    Your ears: The best tools you have... and they're free, too!

Real Name
    Adam
    Here's a measurement of the same speakers using a calibrated mic. Not sure it's of much value though given how crappy the measuring environment is (reflective surfaces, computer fans, A/C, etc.). The HF rise that the RTA app showed does appear to be present. The windows laptop I'm using started emitting some high pitched noise about 5 minutes into testing, willing to bet it's causing that oddness around 7khz.

The little speakers are μFonkens (micro-fonkens). They use the fostex FF85k and I love them for nearfield use. I just don't have enough distance to use the CM2s underneath them. Currently running them off a NAD 712 being fed by a Zero 24/96 DAC-Headphone Amp.
    Plans here: http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeaker...en-0v9-map.pdf
    Meet the Fonkens

I thought it looked vaguely Fonkenish, but the Mini was the smallest I'd seen before.

Founding Member
    there seems to be quite a difference below 200Hz between the two takes.

alas, is a shame that the Audyssey didn't work with your iPhone. I wil see if it works with my 1st gen iPod touch (I will be using it with a laptop anyways).
    Last edited by ABX; 09-24-2010 at 04:52 AM.