Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: MECA World Finals Oct 16-17th. Lebanon, Tn.

I wish I could have dropped the civic in there.

Congrats Erin!

Real Name
    Adam
    Quote Originally Posted by Niebur3 View Post
    Congrats Erin!
    x2

Congratulations!

What sort of feedback did you get on the new install?
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

Thanks.
    I got great feedback from most everyone except one judge, who gave me a 12 point swing. Went like this: 82.5, 80.5, 70.5.
    The judge who scored me the lowest gave the cars I had the most issues with the higher scores. So, that tells me it's based on preference. Apparently a lot of people had issues with this particular judge (so says facebook). This particular judge said that 600-800 and 2-4khz were too hot, yet I felt like that's what gave it the attack and breadth it needed and when I heard the cars he scored those better on, I felt like they sounded too thin and ringy... most likely due to those areas. So, it is what it is. I'll just have to take his feedback with a grain of salt because I know that what he is suggesting is not at all what I like. If that costs me a first place trophy, so be it. ;)
    The flip side is that I could try to tune just for him next year and have his tune on a separate preset. but, that kind of kills the purpose of things to me.

From 200-20khz I have no more than 1.5dB EQ on any band. It's just little touches here and there. Amazing what 1dB here and there can do. It totally woke my system up. Of course, I spent over a week working on just the crossovers, levels, and time alignment to make absolutely sure I had those where I wanted before I started touching the EQ.
    The car is definitely much improved. The sub/midbass is the best it's ever been. Dynamics/attack/ambience is better than ever. The stage layers much better than it ever has... when there's reverb in a room you can distinctly tell it from the original source. I can hear room effects in various tracks now that I couldn't hear before. I hear details in songs that I hadn't heard before. It's just overall much better than it was before. At this point, there's not a single thing I can personally think of to do to make it sound better or score better unless I got a new car and did a new install. I think I've pretty much maxed myself out at this point with this car. But, I'll keep toying with things while keeping my current settings saved on the hard drive just in case.

Overall, I'm happy. I came in 3rd behind Steve Cook (badass truck, last year's overall finals SQ winner) and Gary Summers (THX sound engineer). Even Cook said he thought I deserved to win it and sincerely meant it. That ALONE was worth more to me than any trophy.

What really sucks is that at some point, something went south in my car so some of the guys who I let demo it after that point got the shit tune. Luckily, the judges had listened to it before then. Problem was a loose rca. All is better now.

As far as the non-comp side of things, it was a total blast! Jason came out to hang all day. We got to chat with Brian (genxxx) and Eldrigde (hit him up for his rta knowledge) and I met a few new folks. Gary Summers' car was really nice. He was a super cool dude, too. Best high end resolution I've ever heard in any system, be it home or car audio.
    There were at least 30 people competing on the day I got there and the day before was probably close to the same. Place was PACKED with SQ cars. Everyone was hanging out and doing their thing. Cars were open for all to demo and people were just hanging out. I'm very glad I went. I had a great time hanging with my friends and making new ones. Maybe next year you guys can make it out just to hang out for a day.
    Last edited by ErinH; 10-19-2010 at 05:34 AM.
    Your ears: The best tools you have... and they're free, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    I wish I could have dropped the civic in there.
    Dude, I looked all over the place for you after Jason and I saw your car!
    WTF were you!? :mad:

Quote Originally Posted by ErinH View Post
    Dude, I looked all over the place for you after Jason and I saw your car!
    WTF were you!? :mad:

I texted you back :p

I was camping with the cub scouts!

I take it you did not get it. I was looking for pics of the hatch area of that ep

Real Name
    Adam
    Sounds great, Erin. Sort of a bummer that one guy can have that much impact with his preferences, but I suppose that is the nature of competition. Almost like they need 5 judges so they could throw out the high and low scores and average the middle 3.

Glad to hear about the improvements with the new install. I hope I get a chance to hear it.

I've been thinking lately that I might try a comp or two with my next vehicle, if for no other reason than to meet more people and get additional feedback. Maybe I could even slap a "Mobile Sound Science" decal on it ;).
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

no shit. you really should. maybe you could make it a write off that way. ;)

Chad, I got your message. I still think you're lying... I know you were there competing in SPL! lol!

Real Name
    Adam
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinH View Post
    no shit. you really should. maybe you could make it a write off that way. ;)
    I like the way you are thinking!

Erin, get used to that if you are competing - that's the biggest reason 3X and finals use 3 judges. When I competed at finals, there was like 2/3 of a point that seperated 2nd, 3rd and 4th place. One of the judges scored me like a 58, the other two were more like 78-79 range. The next time this guy judged me (early the next comp year), he scored me like a 75 or so - and I had not touched or changed anything. I know Dave used to use different curves for every judge, based on their preferences. In some ways it is just a game, mostly because SQ is so subjective.