Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: MECA World Finals Oct 16-17th. Lebanon, Tn.

was it Zenner? That's who I'm talking about.
    Scott told me some stories...
    Your ears: The best tools you have... and they're free, too!

I don't see it as being SQ that's subjective... I see it as poor judge calibration. Having been a judge BITD, I know no one calibrated me
    "Of course, the laws of science contain no matter and have no energy either and therefore do not exist except in people's minds. It's best to be completely scientific about the whole thing and refuse to believe in either ghosts or the laws of science. That way you're safe. That doesn't leave you very much to believe in, but that's scientific too."

Yeah, being consistently low or high, or favoring certain preferences is one thing. But just straight up being inconsistent is simply poor judging.

I think Ryan is right. Zenner was last. I bet that the RCA problem happened before he got in. That would explain a 10 pt drop.

You were worried about the RCA's. We should have fixed it or done something.

I had a 12 point spread between Zenner and my highest score, John. Vinny was only a couple points less than John for me.

I know Zenner had a spread on others as well.

I wondered if it was my RCA problem, too, Jason, but I would think that it would have made my score much lower than 70.5 if it had been that. But, I don't know for sure. I think Ron got in after and all was well then.

what happened to your RCA's that caused it to Shyt tune?

ahhh loose RCA... now how the hell did that happen?

Chad, two things:
    1) The neutrik connectors I use have a bit of a larger ID on the barrel and they don't really "grip" to preouts/ins. I've had problems with them in the past so I've learned to crimp them a bit to get them to bite more.
    2) The b1 pre-out/in's are seemingly a bit smaller than standard.

The two combined resulted in a loose RCA.

I thought I had pinched all of them so that they'd lock on to the b1's rca outs, but I must've missed one (left midrange).

Quote Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
    I don't see it as being SQ that's subjective... I see it as poor judge calibration. Having been a judge BITD, I know no one calibrated me
    i'm sorry, sir...our findings show your your calibration is out of tolerance and out of date. you are due for recalibration.

Quote Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
    Well I think it's both, but I do agree with the judging aspect. I judged Sound Quality at a handful of IASCA comps in the early/mid 1990s, and I was never once asked to take a hearing test or even sit through a class telling us what to listen for. Granted I was friends with one of the head judges and I was somewhat "recruited" to help, but looking back and knowing that my opinion/scoring was carrying the same weight as someone else's that had been judging for years, well that was just odd.
    The only real instructions I was given my first time around were to not score the first three cars very high, in case there were others later that sounded much better. I remember feeling like it would suck to be one of the first three and basically having a cap on the score.

I've always thought that SPL comps are less subjective, so more straightforward for judging. Well that seems to have gotten out of hand now also. If you've got an hour to read all of this, here's a guy who got the shaft at that same show but in SPL, and getting blown off when contacting the higher-ups for help:
    Congratulations to David Berger aka basebalz - Car Audio Classifieds