Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: MECA World Finals Oct 16-17th. Lebanon, Tn.

it's like what we do with sidechaining. It's a sidechained gate.

yes .. but sidechaining is when you actually do something to the signal and mix it back in, this is just used to turn on or off the signal just before the amp input. Do you run RCA's or fiber in your car stereo right now ?

No it's not, you are using another signal (full output of source before volume control in that case) to control the actions of the dynamics control device. Remember sidechains have an in and an out, you can wire the loop per say to an EQ in a compression situation, boost the high end and make a De-esser, in a gate you can also EQ to ignore certain frequencies for gating. But when you only use the sidechain INPUT to control the dynamics it opens up a whole new world.

For example,I use the output of the kick drum (pre fade) to open the gate with bass DI passing thru it, I then run that output to another channel of bass DI called Bass Key.. for wump, wump. Just as with this you are not allowing it to pump at low VOLUME CONTROL LEVELS because the full output is sidechaned to the gate. but it will still pump and chatter, just less. Which I agree with.

I don't run fiber, just analog, 6 of them back.

ok, I take it you are using the headunits EQ and xover. I was gonna let you try it out but I don't think it will work like that.

in reality I could by making some level controls and wanging out the headunit into my presonus ACP88 gates ;)

I think I'm the only one with a quiet 9877 though.

in the spirit of MSS, I would be certainly be willing to let you test it out if you like

Real Name
    Adam
    Quick question for those competing in MECA. Erin mentioned being bumped into Modex by cutting metal, which I see clearly stated in the rules. Does welding in additional metal also bump a car into Modex even if all the original sheetmetal stays in place?
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

I'm not competing in MECA, and this is probably dumb, but your question makes me wonder: where do they draw the line between drilling and cutting? What is the fundamental difference?
    Experiments should be repeatable: they should fail the same way every time.

Venting speakers either by drilling or cutting holes is prevented in any class lower than modex.