Thread: My first attempt at carPC

Real Name
    Alan

My first attempt at carPC

I've always wanted a carputer, so after lurking mp3car and doing some research, I've decided to start with a laptop, just to make sure it's going to work the way I want. If it works out, I will probably build a dedicated unit.

So far, I have a Compaq Presario running Win7 Home Premium, a Xenarc 700ID, and an M-Audio Fast Track Ultra. So far, I've just been playing with it on the bench, trying to get the audio routed the way I want it. There's still so much to figure out, but I can just feel that I'm on the verge of success. I'm undecided on what audio program to use but I like the layout and flexibility of Audiomulch.

Since it's not installed, I don't have any pics yet. To be continued....

Founding Member
    Hmm, not sure I have seen anyone successfully use a USB soundcard and acheive the VST processing. It usually created many headaches. Let us know how it goes. Did you already have a laptop or did you buy one specifically for this?

Real Name
    Alan
    I needed a new laptop anyway, so I decided to multi-task with it. I didn't want to spend the money on 2 computers.

Yep, what durwood said. Thats why when I went the laptop route (more specifically netbook) I used external processing since all the USB options gave people issues to no end and I never heard of a successful and stable implementation. What are the specs on your laptop by the way?

processing can be a bit taxing on the CPU, especially if you have other things running in the background like navigation, bluetooth, and whatever else you want running. I have a Core 2 duo 2.93Ghz and will be a 20 percent pretty consistently. You really want to stay under 50 percent usage.

Founding Member
    I hate recommending spending more money to test something but keep in mind you might have to go the firewire route. If your laptop has a PCMCIA slot, focus on cards that have a TI chipset or try to verify with the mfg a firewire card is compatible with it. Ge0 I think was going to try a Roland FA-101 but he went MIA and is busy with life it seems.

FWIW, My first test setup I used for a year was a P4-M 1.6 processor in a desktop board. It ran at 50% which was good enough. Now I use a AMD LE-1620 which is equivalent to an Intel Little falls 2 embedded Atom 330 board that can be had for ~$70. Then you can use a tried and true PCI card option.

Real Name
    Alan
    Thanks for the suggestions. If I understood it correctly, the M-Audio does its own processing. http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...rackUltra.html

What player are you guys using? Are you doing any routing with Virtual Patch Cable?

My PC is a Compaq Presario : AMD Athlon II Dual-Core M320(2.1GHz), 15.6" 3GB Memory, 250GB HDD 7200rpm, DVD Super Multi, ATI Radeon HD 4200 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834107044
    Last edited by AL9000; 08-20-2010 at 06:42 PM.

I am not familiar with that particular product so I cant say if the processing would be adequate/usable or not. I am personally using winamp with kernel streaming as I like the interface and visuals a little better than foobar. Internal routing is the way to go, but I dont have that option with the xonar d2x unfortunately so I use VAC (virtual audio cable).

Founding Member
    AMD LE-1620 1G ram, Audiotrak Prodigy Hifi with internal routing. I'm using roadrunner which supports winamp, foobar, WMP but stuck with the default winamp because it works fine. I may or may not have installed the kernel streaming output plugin but I don't remember as it's been 3 years since I changed anything there.