Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I would like to see...

Erin, editing movies with imovie is pretty easy (not as easy as it used to be but I digress). Maybe I can show you how in a couple of weeks?

it's not so much editing the movie... it's figuring out how I can take a screen capture of me doing things in real time on my computer. IOW, a video screen print.

Then, I could just talk 'over' the video rather than trying to film my PC screen. At the end, we'd combine 2 videos to one:
    1) Video of me demonstrating the hardware setup and positioning the mic
    2) Screen shot video of me navigating the software, selecting certain things and explaining what they could mean and how you can use the data to do what you want.

Quite honestly, most of us here could easily shoot a 10 minute 'how to' video in our garage. The hard part to me is explaining what to do with the results since it will vary from car to car.
    Your ears: The best tools you have... and they're free, too!

what I find somewhat odd is that of ALL the things attributed to this hobby I find gain setting the easiest and least time consuming. Am I crude? You bet. but in reality it's not a matter of wicked science till you get into REAL scientific gain numbers and setting limiters. Since none of this really exists in car audio I see no problem with the method of crude.

Real Name
    Adam
    There is another program called CamStudio that I believe is free and does video screen captures with audio.
    You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - R.Munroe

The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. - W.L.Bragg

thanks, guys.
    Lee, I'd need PC based software since I rely on trueRTA for my rta stuff. I haven't looked into any mac based RTA software, but the only mac gear I use is the imac and it's in the house.

Chad, I agree. I've now started setting gains by muting the source (volume=0), putting the driver near my head, and ramping up the gain until the SNR becomes audible. I bump it a bit past that, and then listen to some tunes. If it's loud enough, I leave it. How's that for crude?
    Your ears: The best tools you have... and they're free, too!

It's absolutely perfect I usually get it loud enough and if there's noise go for the beer fridge for some thinking juice.

is that really the down and dirty way to set gains, ErinH? i've done it by ear with music a rather "dynamic" sound to it and listened for ever-so-slight clipping from the subs and mids. well to the best of my ability/opinion that is at least. felt a little more comfortable doing it that way after i read something an old wise man, i think Chad, posted somewhere about something similar to that.

Founding Member
    It's a down and dirty way to set MAX gain levels for every channel set. After that, start attenuating to get the balance set right. When you are done, the noise should be at rock bottom.

Founding Member
    BTW chad if you have any good methods for using limiters, I'm all ears. Some of us have those, just never used them.